Bathroom Cabinet

Isaac

7 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd say you did well, Isaac! Did you have a pattern that dictated the angle of the points, or did you make it up on the fly?

A bit of both. I looked at some examples online and then drew something up in sketchup that I thought was about right. There are so many examples online, all a little different, so I think it kind of begs to be personalized. 

• Like 1

I did a coffe table similar to that a few years ago.  Same method.   Looks good.  I learned 2 lessons when I did mine.  Since you are inlaying it into a solid top you can expect the top to move which will try to compress or stretch the compass rose.  In my case it tried to compress the rose and after a while I could feel slight "ridges" around the rose.  I could just sand lightly and add another coat but I haven''t bothered.  Nicely done. I like it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I did a coffe table similar to that a few years ago.  Same method.   Looks good.  I learned 2 lessons when I did mine.  Since you are inlaying it into a solid top you can expect the top to move which will try to compress or stretch the compass rose.  In my case it tried to compress the rose and after a while I could feel slight "ridges" around the rose.  I could just sand lightly and add another coat but I haven''t bothered.  Nicely done. I like it.

Yeah I've wondered in the past how marquetry guys handle it, I've seen all sorts of flowers and such in-layed in solid wood. Those would have to result in some issues, but mostly they seem to get away with it. I guess I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Solid work. I've been meaning to try some inlay work for a long time. Some day I'll get around to one of my dream projects, ya know one of those projects that takes a couple years to finish. I want to put a sports logo in a coffee table.

I've thought like that in the past. Now I'm kind of trying to push myself with every project and just letting it take as long as it does. That being said, this was inlay was actually surprisingly fast.

Most of my stuff is furnishing my own house, so I'm shifting towards doing my very best instead of rushing, which is a bad tendency of mine. Its also the reason I started doing hand cut dovetails on things. I'd never learn and become any good at them if I didn't just start doing them. Still got plenty of room to grow though! I guess if I ever fully furnish my house, i can start over again, replacing the worst pieces with better stuff and renewing it all. Or (more likely) start making more pieces for other people. 

38 minutes ago, Isaac said:

've thought like that in the past. Now I'm kind of trying to push myself with every project and just letting it take as long as it does. That being said, this was inlay was actually surprisingly fast.

Most of my stuff is furnishing my own house, so I'm shifting towards doing my very best instead of rushing, which is a bad tendency of mine. Its also the reason I started doing hand cut dovetails on things. I'd never learn and become any good at them if I didn't just start doing them. Still got plenty of room to grow though! I guess if I ever fully furnish my house, i can start over again, replacing the worst pieces with better stuff and renewing it all. Or (more likely) start making more pieces for other people.  

I"m sort of shooting for the middle of getting things done quickly but still trying new things. Recently I've been working on ways to make complicated items faster and more efficient. I'm also endlessly working on increasing quality. I've made enough furniture for one house but threw it all away when I determined that it wasn't worth moving long distance. I gave a lot of it to friends where i moved from but some of it was unsafe or just awful and got burned. It's nice being able to start over and stick with a theme and a single wood species. I learned that i could work with cherry for the rest of my life and be content.

I also have a long list of family members that would love to have items made for them. So maybe in the future I'll get to be able to pay for some of my tools.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Issac, Very well done. Did you use double back tale to hold the compass rose in place while using the marking knife around it?

Thank you. I did not. I was worried that if I used tape strong enough to reliably hold the rose, I would probably break the rose in the process of removing the tape, so I just pinned it with my hand and made my way around with the marking knife. Initially I just cut deep enough to cut the underlying blue tape. After that I removed the blue tape, and went back around with a metal straight edge and the marking knife and cut much deeper guide marks. 

Then I used a straight router bit and removed the interior, leaving approximately 1/8 " all the way around which was fairly easily removed using various chisels and the marking knife, by hand. 

• Like 1