A differnt type of project

Ronn W

Looks like redwood to me from the pictures but that's a wild guess.

Love it Ron reminds me of some of the toys that i had growing up.

If you ever want some redwood hit me up i have probably 400 BF sitting in my garage that I've been hording. This winter i need to use some so i plan on removing the paint with my planer now that i have HEPA cyclone and a shillix head.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

If you ever want some redwood hit me up i have probably 400 BF sitting in my garage that I've been hording. This winter i need to use some so i plan on removing the paint with my planer now that i have HEPA cyclone and a shillix head.

I just might do that. Thanks for the offer.  I don't really like working with the stuff but sometimes it just fits the project like no other.   For the barn's boards it was great (not the milling or ripping part) because the lady I made it for wanted to be a part of the project and it was easy to cut the boards with a handsaw dove tail saw and easy to sand.

Nice work. I know when you work in miniature anything less than accurate shows up. If you liked doing the project why not explain that it is very time consuming however if they got the cash you are willing. Sometimes people will surprise you. All they can say is no or maybe a yes. Cant hurt. Unless you prefer to move on.

• Like 1

One of my favorite clients wanted her childhood doll house repaired and improved so she could give it to her grandaughter for Christmas. It came out great and she was thrilled but the cost was almost obscene. She didn’t even flinch when I gave her the bill.  

Clean clear redwood is a joy to work with. A bit soft but it lasts outside with no finish. Use stainless or brass fasteners. All the planters I built in the early 90’s have dark stains around the rusted steel screws and I used the ceramic coated ones. Careful pilot holes preempt splitting. 

• Like 1

The stuff i have is old from the 60s and is mostly clear. The smell isn't the best but i haven't worked it in a long time. I will be soon i need to finish the drawers for some bedroom furniture i started like 4 years ago.

I also plan to make some of the Lee valley folding adorondak chairs from redwood.