End Grain Cutting Boards

Jonathan McCully

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I just looked and the Delta has a drive belt & 2 pulleys so you can change the drum speed. 

So, in the case of the Delta, there is a difference between the drive belt and the conveyor belt. Looking at the link that Gee-Dub posted, it says that it is a drive belt but looks more like a conveyor belt to me. Just trying to determine if that’s the correct part to order for this

Yeah, at under $20 I'm thinking it is the drive belt.  Sorry about the misdirect.  Industrial Abrasives does the conveyors as well as someone on the forums directed another member there after being very satisfied with the quality.  But, I could not find them on the website.  Sometimes a quick phone call is the fastest way.  Maybe DFalkner would post his source or PM him.

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Sorry Coop but you paid full retail price for that. $20-30 maybe $40 for an abrasive conveyor belt that size. The rubbery ones do cost that much and more.

This is the conveyor belt, ie., the one the board rests on and pulls it thru the sander? This thing is so thin, you can actually  read the writing on the back side.

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Yeah, at under $20 I'm thinking it is the drive belt.  Sorry about the misdirect.  Industrial Abrasives does the conveyors as well as someone on the forums directed another member there after being very satisfied with the quality.  But, I could not find them on the website.  Sometimes a quick phone call is the fastest way.  Maybe DFalkner would post his source or PM him.

Got it at Highland Woodworking - https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/drum-sander-conveyor-belt.aspx - and for the SuperMax 19-38 it's still $39.99.

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t posted on here for awhile. Progress has been slow due to real life priorities (holiday gatherings, putting up Christmas lights on the house, etc.) and getting my new conveyor belt installed, tracking and tensioning figured out, and drum sander set up.  Working now on gluing up end grain and running through the sander. Alignment isn’t perfect but close enough that my family won’t notice. Probably will even up the long edges with router and then run a 1/4” round over all the way around.  Need to also add some hand holds on the underside.  Should still be done with all 4 of them before Christmas.

image.jpg

Fantastic job Jonathan. The design you said was from WWMM. What is that? 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:03 PM, difalkner said:

Got it at Highland Woodworking - https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/drum-sander-conveyor-belt.aspx - and for the SuperMax 19-38 it's still $39.99.

David

Damn, that’s $50 less than I paid and I kept the receipt so I would know next time where to get one. BS on that! 

• Like 2

I bought a program for the computer called Cutting Board Designer or something like that and played with a bunch of different designs, but my wife liked this one best (and it’s really her opinion that matters most). Was a nice program though. Gives you a picture of what the board would look like based on your wood selection, size of the cut strips and how you choose to configure the strips. Then it will give you a printout plan of how to build it.  Not completely necessary for building a board like this, but I was having trouble visualizing what it would look like in the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Should be able to. Most newer printers can connect to devices over the WiFi network. I’m pretty sure you can also buy an adaptor for the iPad that will allow you to connect a USB to it.  If it’s an old dot matrix though, not sure you can make that work :P

Will I still have to use thermal paper? ;) . Showing my age. Thanks bud. 

• 3 weeks later...