jet drum sander---- sandpaper

man of wood

I have a Jet 16-32 drum sander and last night "just the tip" of the sandpaper ripped off.  It was brand new and I don't want to through it away. I heard you can glue a new tip on it.....

My question is...... What kind of glue should I use?

while I have you here........  is it better to buy sandpaper in a roll and cut it myself or just buy it?

I have seen repairs done to sanding belts where the joint has failed but not repairing the belt itself.  Personally I would cut it up and save it for hand sanding.  I buy rolls of paper, and cut my own primarily because I changed my drum sander to a hook and loop system which means I can not use precut belts.   

I made a template from 1/4" MDF by copying a pre cut strip. Label both sides and both ends as to which way the abrasive side is facing. If you get it backwards the strip is useless. A razor knife cutting from the back side works ok, but a pair of the old fashioned scissor type tin snips works great !  It's a little bit of a pain rolling out the abrasive and clamping the template in place but once you get going cutting the entire roll up isn't that hard. I mark with a Sharpie then cut & roll out more abrasive to mark the next strip.

I buy mine in rolls.  It's about half the price of precut rolls.  As for the repair, I make my own spindle sander sleeves with cutoffs from the rolls for my drum sander.  Keep in mind that if you use the method I did for making these sleeves you'll have a bump where the splice is but I guess you can just avoid that small area when you're using the drum sander.

Here's how I make the sanding sleeves -

David

3 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I buy my rolls from here. Take old one off and use as a template and mark with Sharpie, then cut - doesn’t take long at all.

https://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-c-79.html?zenid=0v4nkie4s0cs5ukljfcbkspd86

I do this as well.  The only pre-cut paper I have ever had came on the machine when I got it.

573fa1eb25b6d_Supermax19-38(15).jpg.3a14afd6836b71c128f773652b0a767f.jpg

Industrial Abrasives or Kilngspor.  I watch for specials and stock up.  This gives me a wider range of grits which lets the machine do more for me and prevents me from needing to milk more life out of my abrasives than makes sense.

That's even more than I usually have on hand. 36, 60, 80, 100, 120 , 150, 180, 220 are quite sufficient for me. The blue zircon abrasive is nice stuff if it's available, but a bit costly.  

Always keep a couple of the big 12" long crepe rubber cleaning blocks handy. I keep them in the freezer, they work better and don't get used up as quickly. When one thaws during a longer sanding session the other one is waiting in the freezer. I've got a shop fridge you might need to keep them in a gallon ziplock to keep the lady of the house happy.