Gluing End Grain Cutting Boards

Gary W

I am having trouble when I glue up cutting boards with the boards moving as I tighten my clamps.  I get the boards all lined up on both 1st and 2nd glue ups but as soon as I start to add pressure some of the blanks move.  Obviously I am doing something wrong but I do not know what.  I have boards sanded flat, both sides, after first glue up.  My first 3 or 4 boards were good but after doing about 20, you can see where the alignment is off on the finished board.  Ideas?

Tightening the clamps slowly helps..  Tighten the center one just a little then move out only slightly tightening.  Then come back and increase the pressure a little and do it again.  repeat until you have the clamping pressure you're looking for.

Also, too much glue won't help the situation.

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Interesting in that I never gave the alignment of the final glue-up much consideration(?).  I'm sure this one is off here and there but, I no one seemed to notice.

1815568084_Opt-Illu-Cut-Brd(3).jpg.b8b77ef77827da2cf13be193bf617842.jpg

Be that as it may, the salt trick does work, silica sand does too.  You can also do two of three strips at a time and then glue up the sub-assemblies.   

• Like 2

Salt trick works, use sparingly as it doesn't take much.

The painters tape and using a caul/board to constrain things works well too as Lewisc stated.

I also cover the bar of my clamp in painters tap then wax the whole thing and use the bar as well. This isn't a 1 time use i leave the tape on. The clamp grips just fine through it. Makes the clamps look goofy but they don't get covered in glue any more.

Closet09.thumb.jpg.34ec24f9424c1dced126ca8e9623df57.jpg

Lasts a couple years of moderate use before the  tape gets chewed up than i peel the tape off and put a new layer on. The glue doesn't stick to the tape but rather stays with the wood piece so it really prevents the clamps from getting any glue globs on them. I do the same with pipe clamps which stops the black pipe from staining your work piece. They are the blue things in the right corner in the image above.

• Like 1

Good info here so far. 

Like others, i clamp slowly, from the inside out, and have at least two cauls on hand. I don't clamp the cauls in though, I push down from the top (clamp bar on the other side) and Pat the ends as well. A dead blow hammer is good for any fine adjustment under a little pressure