Midcentury Modern TV Stand

Denette

21 hours ago, Denette said:

I know a mission-style white oak Morris chair doesn't exactly go with a bunch of cherry midmod stuff, but I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons.  

"doesn't exactly go" has gone and went at my house.  I employed the thinking some time back that if I saw something I liked and it looked like it would be something fun to build, then it goes on the list of projects.  So over time, everything looks nice but nothing matches. ;)

• Like 1

I like the progress. The slab doors could look really cool and it appears that you are putting a lot of thought into the process. I don't know what material cost is for you but if you are concerned about looks interior wise I'd stick with cherry. For me at least cherry is about the same price as maple and ash maybe less. The only reason secondary woods were used was to save the expensive wood for the part that shows. For some reason soft maple or poplar isn't all that affordable from my source.

Matching is over rated. Just leads to getting sick of one style and replacing everything. If you wan tone cohesive room there is nothing saying that the Morris chair has to stay right there. Could always go in a different room or in a new house with all your other stuff.... :D

I grew up with MCM in the house till I was 8 or 9 and the move to darker, heavier stuff hit.  Your piece takes me back.  Nicely done.  I have learned (mostly) to not mention the things that most folks won't ever notice (but, I still see them from across the room).  Great look, dimensions and stance.  I really like it.

Still plugging right along on the project.  Here's a video I shot of gluing up the top drawer.  It's got zero production value, I just hit record and talked for 15 minutes.   At the end of the video I do a walk around of the project if you want to see it from more angles.

An interesting video and running commentary.  A couple suggestions that I couldn't help noticing.  Both center around the use of your table saw as a work surface (who doesn't do that from time to time).  If I'm going to be banging on the surface of my saw I like to use some kind of protection, like a router mat, to protect the table so I don't mar it any worse than normal wear will.  If I'm going to be gluing on the table I'd first clean off all the loose sawdust so I don't contaminate the joints and then I'd put down some sort of barrier, a tarp or drop cloth, so that I don't get gobs of glue on my table.

Otherwise, I'm sure there's useful information in there for someone.

Nicely done.  Came looking good.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:08 AM, Chestnut said:

It always entertains me to call them tv stands where there is no tv on the stand.... :D

Very true.  Sometimes I think things can be regional... When I lived in Utah everyone had a rumpus room, in California everyone has a family room but they both served the same purpose.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:08 AM, Chestnut said:

It always entertains me to call them tv stands where there is no tv on the stand.... :D

It looks great in place.

I really didn't know what to call it.  It's not an "entertainment center" in my mind because those are those awful overbearing things that dominate an entire wall and frame the sides and top of the TV.  It's not a sideboard because it's not for food.  It's not a TV stand because the TV is floating on the wall above it.  Media cabinet?  Credenza?  I don't know.

Credenza to me is just another wood for a side board or server depending on your region. It also only reminds me of that thing Marc just made and while the craftsmanship of it is wonderful i HATE the design. I can only see a fat man with his belly hanging over his belt.

I hear ya on the entertainment center. I'd probably call it a media console/cabinet but that still brings back memories of those awful overbearing pieces of furniture. I think a new name needs to be coined like Cabinet that sits under the TV and holds that outdated stuff you can't bear to part with :P. This was all tongue in cheek as i also made a TV stand where i wall mounted the TV above it. It's a common practice and a good one imo. Lets not go back to CRT TVs days and those overbearing cabinets that surrounded them.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I can only see a fat man with his belly hanging over his belt.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :lol:

I have referred t omine as a media cabinet.  To me a Credenza is the "rosewood type" cabinet furniture piece that is behind an executive as he sits at his large rosewood desk. 

5 hours ago, Chet said:

Hey, I resemble that remark. :lol:

I mean no insult by it. Honestly the fact that so many people are "overweight" is a sign of how far humanity has come. It wasn't 200 years ago that being overweight was a sign of great wealth because it meant you could get a meal any time you pleased.