Dewalt 735 helical cutter

Hammer5573

I rotated mine after a year of ownership because i ran a bunch of painted material through and well i suggest never running painted material through your planer.

The upgrade is great. If you want the machine to be quieter and to save some money it's a great option. Cut quality on figured wood is top notch with the one knock being the smaller size limiting the depth of cut. I feel like i can take as heavy of cuts with the HH as with the knives after they were dulled some.

I have always had planer tracks from misaligned inserts since I've rotated and haven't been able to figure it out. I will admit that i only give it 1 shot and then gave up. All of the material i use gets hit with a hand plane after it's run through the machine so some ridges are easy to remove. There are instructions to remove these ridges but i just can't be bothered to spend more time on it.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I have always had planer tracks from misaligned inserts since I've rotated and haven't been able to figure it out. I will admit that i only give it 1 shot and then gave up.

That's a pretty common complaint with the HH cutters. The cure seems to be to do it under surgically clean conditions & being meticulous about cleaning each mating surface before reinstalling the cutter.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That's a pretty common complaint with the HH cutters. The cure seems to be to do it under surgically clean conditions & being meticulous about cleaning each mating surface before reinstalling the cutter.

Yeah i could figure it out but i didn't.... it leaves high ridges not low and everything gets a #4 anyway so i put my time in better places. I type this while i'm still at work after 12 hours.... :(

• 1 month later...

Good reports here and elsewhere from people who have run knives and inserts long enough to demonstrate the financial value of insert heads, including me.  I think it was close to two years before the first rotation on my jointer.  A bit longer on my planer.  Preparation and care during the process will help with consistent results when rotating; torque wrench, compressed air, etc.  The realization that a machine does not leave a final surface is a step many of us make at some point in our journey. 

The discussion of putting a $500 head in a $500 planer is another thread ;-)  This decision includes space and dust collection as much as it does dollars.  I do not recall ever seeing a thread titled "Woe is Me!  Why Did I Ever Switch to an Insert Head!?!"  As an aside, my jointer head paid for itself in about 18 months.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, applejackson said:

@Chestnut what brand did you go with? Byrd?

Yes, I have rotated the inserts once in 2 years. If it wasn't for processing some reclaimed lumber it'd have been a lot longer. I estimate that the helical head has probably near paid for it's self already in both knife replacement cost and time to switch the knives out. Some people make it sound like rotating the inserts takes a long time. I was able to do the entire head in around 20 min.

There are other options that are talked about for blades for the 735 but my #1 reason was sound level. Every other benefit was just icing on the cake.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Kind of poaching in on this topic but I have question on the Infinity HSS knives for the 735? Do these have the double edges so they can be rotated like the OEM?

The infinitytools website says they are.

These knives have two ground edges...”

2 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Kind of poaching in on this topic but I have question on the Infinity HSS knives for the 735? Do these have the double edges so they can be rotated like the OEM?

Yes they do, and are able to be re honed several times, giving you a longer life. The DeWalt blades can be re honed onec or twice, then they are useless.  Infinity's hhs blades can be re honed 5 or 6 times with no loss .

• 2 weeks later...