Router table

I am in the market for a good router table. 2 That I am considering is A Jessem brand and a Woodpecker. Any opinion on these or other router tables let me know.

https://jessem.com/collections/router-table-packages/products/09422-mast-r-lift-ii-complete-table-package

https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools/routers/router-tables/woodpeckers-prp-4-v2350-premium-router-package-27x43-phenolic-with-prl-v2-350.html

Above, links on the 2 I mentioned

My thought is you'd be very happy with either one of those. I don't have experience with the Jessem, but have the WP lift in a Sawstop cast iron extension wing on my TS. I love it, mainly because you can micro adjust the depth of cut very, very precisely. I haven't detected any drift at all once it's set, but it does have locking feature.

Woodpecker builds *very nice stuff but I think they find it just a little to precious for my budget and tastes.

I just bought a Jessem router lift very similar to the one that's included with that table.  Priced very decently at Woodcraft and the two gift cards my brother had given me for Christmases didn't hurt either.  I've unpacked it and taken a very close look at it.  I think the construction is very well done and well thought out.  It includes the ability to adjust for future drift and the machining on mine is very tight and clean.  On the other hand, the price of the lift and table combo you linked to is not something I'm willing to budget for.  I like building stuff and I'm sure I can put together a very nice table for about half the cost of that package.  I've had rough plans drawn up for about 4 years and having bought the lift is my inspiration to finally build it.  I'll save the extra money to buy bits.  

No more using the inexpensive (I dislike the word "cheap") plastic portable one I've used for years with an old B&D router.  It's served me well but I want something better.

I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift in a table I built based on the Norm Abrams router table plans. The lift is great. I also really like the router table design for being able to use featherboards to push against the fence as well as down to the table, for its dust collection, and for its storage for bits and accessories. Either of the Jessem or Woodpecker tables shown would be ideal for the lift, but need help for the dust collection and storage side of things.

Another Woodpeckers table user here.  Going to order the micro-adjust for the fence.  Really happy with the quality and ease of use of all the parts.  I've got the phenolic table, and while quite expensive, I've never had any regrets.  It's a great system.

Years ago FWW did a review and gave the General router table and lift the "best" awards.  Unfortunately General went out of business, but now it appears that SawStop bought the rights and is making the table and lift again.  If your still exploring options this would be worth a look.  

Personally I bought the Bench Dog steel cabinet with the cast iron top from Rockler (it was a good deal).  While I do like having storage under the table for router things the steel box is heavy and cumbersome.  Maybe an open table with shop made cabinet would be just as bad.  I do not like the caster system under the Bench Dog cabinet and I ended up getting a Porta Mate Mobile base so it would actually be mobile.  One issue I have with the Bench Dog cabinet is that the router is contained within a steel box.  This in itself is a good idea, but they did not vent the box.  So the only in flow of air to supply the 4 inch duct is from around the router spindle.  I usually have the door to the box propped open a bit.  

If you said you were buying one I wouldn't have you committed, but if I lost my shop to some disaster and was standing there with an insurance check I would definitely look at the SawStop table first.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eric Anderson said:

I also tend to not finish my shop-made cabinets and accessories.  

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

In your shop?? Oh the barbarism of it LOL

There are 2 friends of mine, both fishing guides. These 2 have known each other for years. They loved fishing so much that when they were not hired they had a small boat just for them to fish. The name of that little boat was "The no Soap". The fancy charter boats are washed down after each ride. Not the No Soap.

I think I got the same wheels as you did Eric.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2019 at 7:19 PM, curlyoak said:

IMG_5129.thumb.JPG.d8428f3d2a7b47adf6c6095c0ed7235c.JPG

The cabinet is in progress. The top is not attached.. I would have preferred the base unit that comes with it. It was too high. It goes near my table saw and it needs to be the same height. Some times it is support for work on the TS. And I don't work in steel so I am building a base. I have 4 locking wheels to add on. I am making 2 bottom drawers.Using left over scraps. The wood is mismatched and will be unfinished. I appreciate some of the furniture grade benches that some here do for their shops. I save that energy for work that goes inside. I sent the lift back. The box had taken a hit. It looks like it was dropped. I would always doubt it so they are sending me another. So far I like the way the top appears to be. I hate the instructions. Poor grainy black and white pics. One of the parts was bolted on the fence. I had to assume it did not belong there. I got the big Porter Cable 15amp motor. This motor is not for hand held router. router table only. Building the drawers now...

Hi,

I am putting together a home made carcass with the Jessem table. 

How do you end up fastening it to the carcass? The table top is only 20mm thick, so not a whole lot for screws to grap hold on. Currently trying to use the existing mounting holes on the table.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Marius

I have older model of the jessem with the lift integrated in the table and the side handle crank that I absolutely love.  Especially the side handle. Makes bit changes a lot faster for me and don’t have to look constantly put in the handle when fine tuning a pass or if you’re absent minded like me misplacing the handle since the last time I used the Er and spending even more time looking for it. 

12 hours ago, Marius.S said:

How do you end up fastening it to the carcass? The table top is only 20mm thick

I think in inches which means the top is 3/4". I installed corner blocks 3/4 thick. It is shy of the top by a 1/8th. I used a 1 1/2" screw x #12. With a proper pilot hole, the screw gets a good bite.  I intentionally did not provide a counter sink which avoids the screw being too long. And the proud head of the screw is not in the way.

• 1 year later...

@curlyoak I have been kicking around getting a router table and I found this old thread. I was actually looking at the same two router table tops / fences / lifts and was wondering if you had any additional feedback now after the build? I was also considering building the stand vs just getting the metal stand that comes with the tops. I was just a little concerned with attaching the top to the wooden stand and was wondering how easy it was to attach the top once the cabinet was built. 

I built the base because I could and I wanted a different finished height. A little lower than the factory base keeps me level with my table saw nearby. So the saw is never in the way and sometimes it will support the work. I cant remember attaching the top to the base. I typically build in corner blocks, drill a hole and pilot hole in the top and drive a screw in. I like the tool. Which motor are you buying. I understand that no more 3.25 hp porter cable. Too bad. good motor...I wrote this before I read my reply above. I think I remembered.  I impressed myself! lol

• Like 1

I don’t know!  I have a DeWalt 618 but it is only 2-1/4 hP. I am still torn if I will use the router table that much, but I am guessing once it is setup and easily accessible I will find some more uses for the table. I have been watching some videos to learn what people are using their tables for and have learned a few things.  Are there some things on the route table that you need the extra horse power?  Anything you do the most on the router table or since it is so versatile is it just a lot of different little things?   

On 5/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Anything you do the most on the router table or since it is so versatile is it just a lot of different little things?   

My previous router table had a 2 hp bosch. I got a lot of work out of it. Including a kitchen full of curly oak raised panels. With the less  power it several passes. More power less passes. And the bearings fried on the bosch. With the Jessem table my setup time is much less. And overall I am glad I made the investment. I would get the most powerful motor recommended.

My work is custom. I have 2 drawers to make so I will set up a round over for the drawer sides. The drawer faces will match existing. I will use my table to rabbitt the frames 1/2" for a ply panel. That will be fenceless. I avoid this design but i need to match the existing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very versitile tool for the shop for sure. I bought a Freud table setup many many moons ago, made many raised panel doors with it amongst other things, the press board table is starting to warp, likely from the weight of the router, it could be stiffened up by bracing underneath it, but i opted to get the cast iron sawstop table, should be here in a week or so, it will give more acurate and consitant cuts, and i am tired of reaching underneath it for bit chages. Lol.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...