New r4512 Table Saw table flatness

Randolph Scudder

I received a new Ridgid r4512 table saw for Fathers Day and have been assembling it. I noticed that my table is anywhere from .020-.030 out of flatness. I know most cast iron table saws are not going to be perfectly flat, but even my job site saw is not this far out, is this going to be a problem? I've contacted the manufacturer, but as of yet, I have not heard back.

IMG_0392.JPG

I will await the contributions of more learned members of the forum, but that seems like a lot to me.  I would have thought .005 would have been a more appropriate goal. 

You certainly don't need a feeler guage to see the discrepancy with your straight edge.  But how accurate is the straight edge?  One thing I have learned from hanging out here is that there is a difference between straight enough for a stair case or rafters and straight enough for joinery.  

So if that is an ordinary inexpensive carpenter's square it may not be accurate enough for this task.  If that's a precision straight edge.  Then yeah that table don't look flat.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Oh, Happy Father's Day, and welcome to the forum.

+1 to what Mark said!

Regarding the saw table top, HD is pretty good about refunds and exchanges, IMO. But the chances are spotty that a replacement will be much better. Be prepared to replace it , live with it, or put in the elbow grease to flatten it yourself.

Also, I would consider removing (at least loosten) the trunions from the top before acting to correct anything. It may be that the structure attached under the top is not properly assembled, and has placed it in tension, resulting in the warp you measured. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bankstick said:

Good luck with the manufacturer and HD. HD wouldn't honor a warranty claim on a Ryobi battery. Haven't been back since.

I’d imagine you’d need to go through Ryobi for that.

I bought a Milwaukee 12v drill that was DOA (bad switch, would work from 0-75% speed and shut off past 75%) and HD refunded it without question. They didn’t even want the bonus battery back, so I bought another drill set and ended up with 2 free batteries. 

That does look out of flat more than I would expect. I have the Ridgid jobsite saw and it has a couple very slightly low spots, but nothing like that. As mentioned, I’d verify that straight edge is straight. 

• Like 1