Baby on board!

Mick S

10 hours ago, Mick S said:

Whoa! Pulled herself right up!

Actually, Mick, I'd like to know more on how you acomplished that step.  When I have done it in my shop I have attached the top of the machine to a hoist and lifted only to find the bottom of the machine start sliding away.  I see a srap running to the top of your saw, but is that a mover I see lurking in the back of one of the photos?

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Actually, Mick, I'd like to know more on how you acomplished that step.  When I have done it in my shop I have attached the top of the machine to a hoist and lifted only to find the bottom of the machine start sliding away.  I see a srap running to the top of your saw, but is that a mover I see lurking in the back of one of the photos?

That's exactly how we did it. With 3 people it was pretty easy. The "movers" were actually the electricians installing the new 30 amp circuit. Once it was about half way up it was easier to just lift it up by hand. By that time the center of gravity had shifted enough that we just had to hold it back so it wouldn't tip the other direction. Since it was strapped, I knew it wouldn't go too far.

11 hours ago, Chet said:

Looks like it came fully assembled, thats a pretty nice deal.  Congratulations on the new tool Mick.

Pretty much. So much of the info online about this saw is outdated. This is the 3rd version since they introduced it almost 20 years ago and getting consistent or up-to-date info is hard. For instance, comments on other forums said it would come covered in grease that would take hours to remove and then would still be sprayed all over the place the first few times you ran the machine. Not so. I went to Lowes and got 2 big cans of WD40 for the occasion. Now I have a lifetime supply. The table was coated in oil to prevent rust - 5 minutes with citrus cleaner followed by a coat of wax and done.

I ordered 2 blades right after I ordered the saw, a 1" Lenox Woodmaster carbide tipped and a 1/2" GT. They're supposed to arrive Monday. Until then... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It'd be nice to have a16" saw but I'm limited on space.

I decided to go with the 20" over the 16" mainly because of the bend radius on carbide blades. Those things are 'not cheap', cough, cough. They should last noticeably longer on the bigger wheels. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mick S said:

I decided to go with the 20" over the 16" mainly because of the bend radius on carbide blades. Those things are 'not cheap', cough, cough. They should last noticeably longer on the bigger wheels. 

Hey I've only broken like 3 or 4. It's not my fault they insist that it should work on a 14" saw and keep replacing it for free :D. I'd never be able to get anything bigger than a 16" in my shop as much as i agree with you.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I agree with the veneer. The irony is i just read the part of Nakashima's the sould of the tree book where he was ranting that veneer was a desecration of a tree's essence.... I some what agree but also strongly disagree.

I suppose it could be argued ad infinitum both ways. I stand firmly on the side that produces the most yield of what the tree has to offer.  Is it a desecration of a human soul to use the skin of a deceased person to save a burn victim? A heart to save a baby born with a congenital defect? I come down on just the opposite side of that argument. Use any and every part of me you can when I'm gone. my soul will be happier as a result.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mick S said:

I suppose it could be argued ad infinitum both ways. I stand firmly on the side that produces the most yield of what the tree has to offer.  Is it a desecration of a human soul to use the skin of a deceased person to save a burn victim? A heart to save a baby born with a congenital defect? I come down on just the opposite side of that argument. Use any and every part of me you can when I'm gone. my soul will be happier as a result.

His argument was that it disrupts the flow and the look of the entire width of the tree and minimizes it's majesty. He did a lot of slab work i believe for that reason. I believe his big argument was against rotary cut veneer that looses the look and feel of real wood which i agree with to an extent.

Though I fall on your side of the fence using the tree to it's fullest extent is one of the better ways to make use of a tree that is rare and or slow growing. If you could take one of his slabs and capture the essence but make 10 pieces of furniture didn't you just share the beauty of that tree with 10 fold more people?

I need to buy some of that mesquite it is a lovely wood. I'll probably saw it into veneer and use it like you do.

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Though I fall on your side of the fence using the tree to it's fullest extent is one of the better ways to make use of a tree that is rare and or slow growing. If you could take one of his slabs and capture the essence but make 10 pieces of furniture didn't you just share the beauty of that tree with 10 fold more people?

In my opinion, yes. I doubt I’ll ever use the full 20” resale capacity of the saw, but taking ⅛” slices through a wide slab makes it go a long, long way. I’ve always been a little uneasy sanding commercial veneer, especially along edges. ⅛” you can sand like solid wood. 

• Like 2