Baby on board!

Mick S

They were known as SCMI in this country up until about maybe 10 years ago. I think the rifle maker is a different company altogether, as is the typewriter company and the software company. SCM Group woodworking machinery is a huge conglomerate of at least 12 companies, one of the largest woodworking machinery manufacturers in the world, based in Rimini, Italy. 

Good morning to me! I came out to my shop this morning, made some coffee and realized that the lower door won't open far enough to get the blade on and off with the Bora in its current orientation. It won't clear the lever that locks the mobile base in place. I have to do it all over again, this time rotating the mobile base 180 degrees so the door will clear. :angry:

Gonna get my buddy Carl to help this time.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

don't you just love it when a plan comes together MickB) glad you can correct it without much trouble and i've never heard of the Bora mobile base, the base under my TS has got a lot of miles on it and should be replaced, thanks for posting

First world problems, huh? It does underscore the only real annoyance I've found with the saw. Well, that and the mobility kit that came with it. In order to get anything over a 1/2" blade installed, the doors have to be open 180 degrees. If they made the doors an inch wider and moved the hinges an inch to the left the wider blades would go on at 90 degrees and the saw could be closer to the wall. Fortunately the 1" blade will live on this machine and should rarely need to be changed.

The Bora PM-3500 mobile base is rated at 1500 lbs. They make others, but this one got really good marks from most everyone. Much easier to assemble and much heavier than the other bases I've used. I have one on my drill press that uses aluminum cam levers to raise and lower the casters. Don't care for it. it's hard to activate the levers and I find myself getting down on my hands and knees to push down on the levers. The Bora is step on, step off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

If they made the doors an inch wider and moved the hinges an inch to the left the wider blades would go on at 90 degrees and the saw could be closer to the wall.

I would bet that their design people don't put a lot of thought into the conveniences that would help out a space constrained  hobbyist and the needs for different mobile bases and such.  They probably figure that a beast like that is going to go in place and not be moved.

Could be. That's one of the things I like about what Laguna has done with their bandsaws. They're building larger and heavier machines targeted to the hobbyist market. They're well thought out. SCM bandsaws are made by Centauro in Italy and are sold under a few different names, SCM being one. They're industrial bandsaws, no doubt. 

That said, most European shops are considerably smaller than US shops, so placement and mobility should be a concern. In this case, the space needs to be twice the width almost.

Mick, do you see yourself ever moving the bs other than cleaning underneath? I bought a hd base for mine thinking that it would be moved but I bet I’ve moved it 3 times in 4 years, usually due to the fact that a part or screw rolled underneath it. But by golly, I can if I ever want too! 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Mick, do you see yourself ever moving the bs other than cleaning underneath?

Hi Coop. Hope you’re staying above water down there. 

Yes, every time I change blades I’ll need to move it away from the wall since the doors need to swing 180 degrees to get the blades on and off. Since the doors are 2 feet wide I can keep the saw about 18" closer to the wall except for blade changes. 

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Mick, do you see yourself ever moving the bs other than cleaning underneath? I bought a hd base for mine thinking that it would be moved but I bet I’ve moved it 3 times in 4 years, usually due to the fact that a part or screw rolled underneath it. But by golly, I can if I ever want too! 

One thing that is nice with moble bases is if any sort of maintenance or repair needs to be done. I had a set screw come loose on my jointer and it was very easy to fix. It was the first time in 2 years I'd moved the thing.