New Planer Adventures

Chestnut

So i posted in What did you do today with the new 15HH in the back of my pickup. I figured it's been more of an adventure than just posting in a bulk thread.

This is the clean side of my pickup I swear the other side is covered in mud. Ok not covered but has some mud on it.

0828191509_HDR.thumb.jpg.42d2ca73679833f3ce913080ae465c21.jpg

Need to get it in the garage for my aweful idea to play out. Just barley fit.

0828191553.thumb.jpg.cd7883cb228c5d09838e0ca82b6de9cb.jpg

Oh yeah this is the good stuff.

0828191609_HDR.thumb.jpg.80961daa8169676f245c904385ebbfa1.jpg

Had the awesome smell of fresh cast iron and overseas grease. The plywood is surprisingly nice though. Better than the 1/4" junk we get at the box stores around here.

Here is where it gets dicy. 2,000lb block and tackle setup to a beam that spaned 4 rafters. The rafters say right on them they are rated for a 40lb live load.... this is only 560lbs ... yeah that math checks out.

0828191711.thumb.jpg.0d177188ed02a71b2bb5beebea7f3d37.jpg

I watched everything while Megan rolled my pickup forward. She can't drive stick but knows how to push the clutch it and let it roll forward then hit the brakes. Some day I'll teach her how to drive stick.

Ok now brace your self.... I do what every rational person does when they get a new tool.

I took it apart.... obviously.

0828191842_HDR.thumb.jpg.5bcc12928ea8cc63a29f7e09aacb65f7.jpg

So half is in my garage.

0828192048.thumb.jpg.89862c240816c51c1cf0b0526b4c101e.jpg

And half is in my shop.

0828192052.thumb.jpg.c5509fd0d01887b523bb780de2e1a217.jpg

This is how these things work right...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some day I'll teach her how to drive stick.

HAHA! 

I said that same thing. Never going to happen though. The first time I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual car ended in tears. 

Good choice on the thicknesser. It's a solid unit and works well.

• Like 1

Looks like fun to me.   No fun lifting with a 7:1 block and tackle (I have used a sailboat mainsheet system for help sometimes), and no fun lowering with a come-a-long.  Curious about the order of lifting, and lowering.  Did you lift it enough with the 7:1 to clear the truck bed?  Or, is that a crank handle chain hoist purchased in the middle of the job?

3 hours ago, Mick S said:

My 735 always did a beautiful job for me, but the noise... Congrats on a great machine!

@Mick S

Agree, agree, agree. My shop is a detached garage, probably 30 ft from the house and it's almost reached the point where I have to wait to do any planing until my wife isn't home, because even inside the house, with all windows closed, she still complains about the noise. I can only assume that the rest of the neighborhood loves it just as much as she does. 

@Chestnut 

dangit, now you've made me jealous! That is a beautiful machine and a very nice investment, sir. 

I look fwd to hearing from you about its performance. 

12 hours ago, Mark J said:

Looks like you used both a block and tackle and a come along.

3 hours ago, Tom King said:

Looks like fun to me.   No fun lifting with a 7:1 block and tackle (I have used a sailboat mainsheet system for help sometimes), and no fun lowering with a come-a-long.  Curious about the order of lifting, and lowering.  Did you lift it enough with the 7:1 to clear the truck bed?  Or, is that a crank handle chain hoist purchased in the middle of the job?

Yeah i used the 7:1 to clear the truck bed because my neighbor wasn't home to ask about his engine lift. When I did catch him and asked to borrow his engine lift he handed me the come along. It worked well.

I attached a block to the wall to secure the end of the 7:1 rope to but it was so much of a hassle that i abandoned it for separating the two prats of the machine. I'd have had the top in the basement last night if it wasn't so top heavy. I could get it on the dolley but couldn't tip it back as i didn't weigh enough.. I may have also struggled getting it up the couple of steps into the house. The top portion is maybe 200 lbs. I could just barley lift the whole thing an inch off the ground solo.

50 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I may have also struggled getting it up the couple of steps into the house. The top portion is maybe 200 lbs. I could just barley lift the whole thing an inch off the ground solo.

Yeah Drew, the last thing you want to do is drop it and then say damn i wish i had gotten some help, that machine will serve you for a long, long time, waiting for some help is a small price to pay, but i am anxious to see it in action!

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Yeah Drew, the last thing you want to do is drop it and then say damn i wish i had gotten some help, that machine will serve you for a long, long time, waiting for some help is a small price to pay, but i am anxious to see it in action!

Yeah it'd go flying down the steps and through a wall. After goign through the wall it'd end up in my shop though. So silver lining there.... :D.

I was nervous when i was using the come along and block and tackle but i knew something would have to break in order for it to fall and i doubt that rope was that weak. The yellow strap is rated for 3,000 lbs so i knew that one was good.

• Like 1