Sapele Morris Chair (Final Photos)

Chet

I had good luck with epoxy even though a lot of people frown on using it for bent lam. Having to leave them in the forms for 24 hours added a lot of time to the project though. I didn't want to buy another adhesive that would only sit around and not get used after the project was completed.

I like the little details that you've done. You have defiantly made it your own.

Nice clamps :D. Glad they worked out for ya.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I didn't want to buy another adhesive that would only sit around and not get used after the project was completed.

No problem there, Its similar to PVA's, but harder, and It's not a two part it comes in half or gallon jugs and a five gallon bucket if you need.  I got it from vacupress.com.

I will just continue to use it on other projects until it is gone.

Nice clamps :D. Glad they worked out for ya.

All of the green plastic pads are cracking on them, on both ends.  Kind of disappointing but for less then $10 each they did what I needed.  I really like the handles on them, better then Bessey's, so there's that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chet said:

No problem there, Its similar to PVA's, but harder, and It's not a two part it comes in half or gallon jugs and a five gallon bucket if you need.  I got it from vacupress.com.

I might look into it then i have a few bent lam projects in the works. Thanks for the heads up.

How much did you end up using for the arms. Also the glue looked like it was TBIII color. Do you feel that it would be too dark for cherry?

Looking forward to following this too!

Have used TB III too like Mick for my bent laminates, and I've even used TB extend for more involved laminate glueups. I have looked into the Unibond but went with what I know. Maloof always just used a PVA for his rockers. But you got a super result with that. I've never had such invisible glue lines.

Looking up the product it has long open time, sets pretty quick and it's for interior only. What's it handle like, runny or more thick?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chet said:

All of the green plastic pads are cracking on them, on both ends.  Kind of disappointing but for less then $10 each they did what I needed.  I really like the handles on them, better then Bessey's, so there's that.

Oh yeah all the green plastic pads got ripped off and thrown away. I meant to contact cement some leather to them but never got around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really nice and clean looking through motrise.

I messed up a chair leg really bad so a stool leg isn't the worst. I'm not sure how the stock you are working with looks but I'd bet you could find another piece that matches. Though if you can't find what you like do it right. I made very few compromises when i made my chairs and I really appreciate it now. The chairs are still one of my all time favorite projects. Megan has caught me quite a few times just staring at the curly grain on the arms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how the stock you are working with looks but I'd bet you could find another piece that matches.

This isn't a problem,  all the stock I am working with I from the same tree.   I actually re-made the leg today.   I was just really upset at making a dumb, dumb, dumb mistake.

• Like 1

Oh yeah i forgot that you mentioned that earlier. Though being from the same tree isn't always a guarantee that you'll get a match though it's more likely.

When i put the mortise on the wrong side I hacked the leg into 15 pieces and burned it so i hear ya on the dumb mistake. Taking a break is always the best thing to do. Glad you got the replacement mad and are moving forward I'm excited to see this one finished.

23 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

My slats were long enough that I was able to do the testing on the ends of one of the slats to get things dialed in. I then cut them to length and did the tenons.

Thats good to know.  I have a lot of extra length too, so I will do some trys first before I cut to length. Thanks for the information.

I have been trying to think if there may be another to go about this too.

The pyramids for the stool were cut on the table saw with the blade set at 15 degrees and then sanded in the direction of the grain on all four surfaces using my good ol' prepin weapon sanding blocks, went 120, 150, 180 then with just a small piece of 320 to finish it off.

For the chair arms I milled up a piece of stock about 8 inches long.  The 8 inches was just to give me enough to work with when cutting it and then holding it in the vise to sand and in case I messed up on my first try.   I ran it through the drum sander until I had the perfect fit in the arm mortise.  Then I cut a pyramid on each end and sanded it that same way as before.  I cut a 1/4 inch of the top of the existing tenon on the front legs.  Then I cut the pyramid at a length that would fit down onto the top of the leg tenon.  I sanded the bottom of the pyramids until I had an exposure that I was happy with.  I will glue the pyramids in after the chair is all assembled. 

• Like 2