Sapele Morris Chair (Final Photos)

Chet

47 minutes ago, Chet said:

The pyramids for the stool were cut on the table saw with the blade set at 15 degrees and then sanded in the direction of the grain on all four surfaces using my good ol' prepin weapon sanding blocks, went 120, 150, 180 then with just a small piece of 320 to finish it off.

For the chair arms I milled up a piece of stock about 8 inches long.  The 8 inches was just to give me enough to work with when cutting it and then holding it in the vise to sand and in case I messed up on my first try.   I ran it through the drum sander until I had the perfect fit in the arm mortise.  Then I cut a pyramid on each end and sanded it that same way as before.  I cut a 1/4 inch of the top of the existing tenon on the front legs.  Then I cut the pyramid at a length that would fit down onto the top of the leg tenon.  I sanded the bottom of the pyramids until I had an exposure that I was happy with.  I will glue the pyramids in after the chair is all assembled. 

So the chair pyramids are not part of the leg?

Correct.  Of course they will be once I add glue. ;)  I kind of got the idea from Mick.  I couldn't figure out another way to do it at least on the table saw because the leg tenon isn't centered on the leg, it is offset. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

How will the upholstery be done?

I am going to have it done by an upholstery shop.  Coming this far on the project I want that done right.  I have some very specific things I want in the cushions.  I am not going to say moneys no object but I want top quality construction of the cushions.  I am going to talk to a shop this Friday to get some questions answered.  Their website gives me a good feeling that they know what they are doing.

• Like 2

On the couple of other Sapele things I have done, I did a coat of garnet shellac followed by GF High Performance and I have been real happy with the look.  So I think I will go with that.  I am kind of a chicken when it comes to trying different finishes, although I do, and I have always been happy with how they come out.  The shellac and clear coat is my favorite.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:37 AM, Chestnut said:

Trying new finishes is fun to me. There are quite a few that I've identified that I WANT to try but cant' because they are just too dang expensive.

Agreed. I was hesitant to try Livos Kunos because it is expensive. On the upside, it goes a long way. I bought a small can for roughly $35, slightly less than a pint. I put 3 coats on the G&G file cabinet and have almost half left. Same with Osmo Polyx. 2.5 liter can covered my kitchen cabinet remodel in 3-4 coats, Morris chair, desk and numerous other projects and I still have about a liter. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Did you decide on a material for the upholstery?

We just finished deciding today.  Kind of going old school, it is going to be Mohair,  it will be gray, on the darker side of gray.  I can remember when I was a kid being intrigued by my grandma's mohair furniture.  but it is pricy, leather probably would have been cheaper. :rolleyes: