Bmac

Curly Maloof Rocker

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Can you imagine the price in three years? Time to take options!

It will take two Houston Hats for you to get one board of it! :lol:

@Bmac, all three of those chairs are incredibly beautiful! At the risk of offending anyone, can I ask if you know of a design the takes a smaller footprint? The Maloof style is pure grace, but just eats so much space....

• Thanks 1

I'm amazed at how fast you can churn these out. The end result is beautiful and does not look like you spent less than 100 hours on it.

• Thanks 1

Whoa!  Between the grain, finish and contours, that takes your breath away.  I can't imagine ever tackling a project like that.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Bmac, all three of those chairs are incredibly beautiful! At the risk of offending anyone, can I ask if you know of a design the takes a smaller footprint? The Maloof style is pure grace, but just eats so much space....

True, the footprint is big. What dimensions were you thinking of reducing? I'm sure you could make the rockers 5-6" shorter with no problem, you could change the angle of the back legs to 3 degrees instead of 6 to decrease width at the top, and you could probably even lower the back rest some. I think all those are probably simple enough mods. I think the look would not suffer too much and it would likely be just as comfortable.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'm amazed at how fast you can churn these out. The end result is beautiful and does not look like you spent less than 100 hours on it.

You know, I honestly was a little shocked at my time. I was wondering if I was shaving time off like rounding down 15 minute here or there, but still if I did that I would have only added an hr or two in the end.

I think my speed is based on a few things, first it was my 5th rocker and I'm not sure how many sculptured pieces before this. Second, I've made enough of this Maloof furniture that I don't have to think twice about my shaping. My mind already envisions it and my hands have had practice getting there. In the beginning it's typical to be hesitant and go much more slowly in fear of making a mistake. I've over come that fear and just plow ahead. Finally, and probably most significant, I have developed a system. Combining the tools I'm comfortable with and a process I refer to as power shaping/sanding I am able to work faster. Combining the RAS, the interface pads, and the rasps I do 90% of the rough shaping with those. I love the Festool 90 Rotex for it's small shape/profile, light weight, and ability to use with one hand and not get fatigued. The 90 may not be the most powerful Rotex, but it helps immensely with the process. I think any brand of smaller sander would work with the interface pad, but I do the the aggressive mode that Rotex offers.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Whoa!  Between the grain, finish and contours, that takes your breath away.  I can't imagine ever tackling a project like that.  

I'm sure you can tackle this project, those crazy shapes you make take my breath away. This project is just like any other, one step at a time.

• Like 2

Bmac I think the next rocker needs to be curly white oak. But you will need to be big buddies with a sawmill guy that cuts alot of white oak to get 10/4.

34 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I think the next rocker needs to be curly white oak. But you will need to be big buddies with a sawmill guy that cuts alot of white oak to get 10/4.

I know, none of this 4/4 stuff is going to get that done. I do have quarter sawn 9/4 drying on my property, but that stuff dries slow!!!

I’m still on a high from this! Put a Christmas bow on it and I’ll be able to sleep! :D

• Like 1

I finally caught up on this. Amazing work and it's clear that you've developed a process that works for you. The pictures of all 3 together are great!

• Like 1