general drill press

curlyoak

General did go out of business, but someone may have bought the intellectual property or re-organized the company.  It would be unlike Home Depot to sell leftovers.

I'd investigate if the company has been reincarnated, but a budget of a "grand" includes a lot of different makes.

31 minutes ago, Mark J said:

General did go out of business, but someone may have bought the intellectual property or re-organized the company.

The story of the demise of General is an epic of Bysantine proportions. My understanding is that technically, it has been resurrected, but the website is mostly nonfunctional, and I haven't been able to find anyone that carries the machines or parts other than old stock.

@curlyoak, I don't have experience with that model, but I've got a 75-260, which is a 17" and it is a very solid machine. Quill run out is good, I've not measured it, but I can't detect any in use. The 6" quill travel is something that I really like. Don't use it often, but when I need it...

The down sides? The depth stop is horrendous & one day I will fit it with something better. I believe @gee-dub posted a thread on this or some other forum about one he made that looks real good. Changing speeds is a clumsy operation the requires way too many steps & tools. The crank for raising the table is obscenely long; so much so that if the press is against the wall, you can't even operate the crank a full 360*. I shortened mine.

dszaius, and all others, What drill press do you like on a minimum basis. I am not looking for the best. For wood mostly. Something reliable. A good depth stop is important. 3/4 hp is minimum and I will not mind 1hp. 15" or larger. I would consider a beefed up bench model.

Thanks

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-17-drill-press-model-jdp-17?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUYq8WTnQqfB5qo-duX9w7476kyWmIwKoNpGMbqzvqs2HVLiwIQ8o7waAhiSEALw_wcB Any opinions here? Glad to know that General has issues. I liked the drill but if you can't get help...How about this Jet? Do you think it would be promoted and discounted during xmas?

Over the last several years jet has had a 15% off sale for a few days after Thanksgiving.  Powermatics are also discounted 10% during that same sale.  Although "past performance is no guaruntee",  my friend at Rockler says to expect the same.  

When I bought a drill press my overriding concern was not wanting to change belts, so that put me in the big Powermatic and the Nova DVR.  Those are up from what you are looking for, but it seems like there was a ton of other drills out there at the time in your price range with multi-pulley belt drives.

For example here's a Rikon model with only one belt change:   https://www.rikontools.com/product/30-217

My thing about a bench press is it takes up as much floor space as a floor model while simultaneously consuming bench top space and giving you a less versatile drill.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, curlyoak said:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-17-drill-press-model-jdp-17?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUYq8WTnQqfB5qo-duX9w7476kyWmIwKoNpGMbqzvqs2HVLiwIQ8o7waAhiSEALw_wcB Any opinions here? Glad to know that General has issues. I liked the drill but if you can't get help...How about this Jet? Do you think it would be promoted and discounted during xmas?

The depth stop mechanism on the Jet is of the type people tend to love-to-hate.  Not to put too strong a point on it but, I would pass on a DP that used this method.  As Dr. Z mentioned I did do a shop-built add-on for my Delta to get away from the "ring" type of depth stop they supplied on some of their DP's.  Other than that I found the Jet you show to feel pretty good and appears well built in our world where makers are mysteriously challenged by a fairly basic machine like the drill press.

*** disclaimer ***  The following is just a pre-coffee stream of consciousness.  I don't mean to champion or offend . . .

Looking for a decent drill press at a decent price has almost become a secondary hobby for me.  I look at what I think are contenders every time I get near one to judge the QA over time.  The 15" Jet (the 17" flexes more than I am comfortable with for the price) is nice enough to make me add-on a depth stop but, seems a bit over priced.  For about half that price the Grizzly G7944 is a solid, but very basic 14" machine but, I sold a nice 14" machine because I needed more reach too often. 

For a bit more the Delta 18-900 gets a lot of praise and would be my choice (despite the trepidation on that brand) unless I was willing to push the $$$ to a Nova.  The large PM is still worrisome due to the problems with its predecessor.  Most issues were fixed but I find floor models to vary widely indicating possible QA issues.  Remember that vertical quill slop directly affects your depth accuracy. As I said, it has almost become a hobby within a hobby to seek out a decent DP for a decent price.

3 hours ago, gee-dub said:

The depth stop mechanism on the Jet is of the type people tend to love-to-hate. 

What is un-likable about that type of depth stop?  I've never seen it before, but it looks like it would be more precise than the type you ordinarily see.  Maybe a bit awkward to get at.

22 minutes ago, Mark J said:

What is un-likable about that type of depth stop?  I've never seen it before, but it looks like it would be more precise than the type you ordinarily see.  Maybe a bit awkward to get at.

I have the Jet JDP17 with the fiddly depth stop. It was in storage for over a year before we moved, and once I got it back into a usable space I had to read the instructions and watch a video to remember how to set it properly. It's a less-intuitive mechanism than the standard depth stop I see on most drill presses. 

Edited by VizslaDad
little word choice error

18 hours ago, VizslaDad said:

It's a less-intuitive mechanism than the standard depth stop I see on most drill presses. 

It can't be less intuitive than the electronic controls on the Nova :o.

Curlyoak, what are your goals for your drill press?   They all drill holes so maybe it comes down to other factors and features.   But what was most important to me may not be at all relevant to you. 

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Curlyoak, what are your goals for your drill press?   They all drill holes so maybe it comes down to other factors and features.   But what was most important to me may not be at all relevant to you. 

I want at least 1 hp. And a reliable depth stop. I want a company that has decent customer service and parts. And is likely to be in business in the future. What do you think about the JDP 20 MK Jet drill press?

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

For big holes for electric plugs and wiring. A hole saw or a big Forstner.

Oh yeah never thought about that. The stuff i make with plugs I usually run a cord inside by taking the power strip apart so I don't have to pass the plug, This way I can keep the hole small. But that doesn't work if people want to use their own stuff with plugs and what not.

Ordered 

https://www.woodpeck.com/drilling/drill-press-tables/complete-woodpeckers-drill-press-table-package-2.html

And

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-1-5-HP-20-in-Floor-Standing-Drill-Press-with-Worklight-12-Speed-115-230-Volt-JDP-20MF-354170/204059824 Ordered

I called and asked what the promotional price was. I had to demand the clerk ask management. Clerk was sure there would be no discount.  They sold it to me for $130. And if you want something they have, ask if there is a promotional price.

Got the drill from Home Depot. They guarantee no lower price. Them or any advertised price. And an additional $200 plus or minus on my junky old drill press.

The worst tool in my shop will find another home.

• Like 2