access to a benevolent beast

curlyoak

A 12" Northfield jointer.

4F5CC723-499A-44DF-BB55-AFEB2CFA42FF.thumb.jpeg.88a9b05272726920cc4c865e83d10c74.jpeg

This belongs to my neighbor. This tool has been completely rebuilt and is in new working order. Including a spiral head.They go north in the summer and I look after their house. I did not ask for a fee. I'm glad to help. But I did ask for access to the benevolent beast on the rare occasion I need more than my 8" jointer. Also I asked for access to the table saw. It has a slider on it with very large crosscut capacity. My guess is that This access will be occasional. But it is comforting to know access is there.

Does anyone have experience with this brand?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

You need more than an 8" jointer? I  dont have a jointer...

For wide boards I do. It would really slow me down to do what a jointer does by hand..

I was just there to be schooled on the electrics and dust collection. This jointer is 3 phase and there is a sequence of switches. I brought over a 10" w x 1.5' long rough figured walnut. I wanted to see it. My only hesitation is the sequence of switches which will be written and near by. I was comfortable operating the jointer. It handled the figure, no tear out. Knowing my neighbor I knew if he re built it it was dialed in. He can't help himself. I think he enjoyed rebuilding the jointer more than any woodwork he does. It is a byrd head

I've just had to be so productive over the years I never slowed down to look at a jointer to personally own. When I was building furniture the last few years I used one all the time. Mainly because they payed me too.  I didn't find furniture making that complicated.... But I have avoided a lathe for almost 40 years....

F07D8A7E-0589-4A39-8867-5E538FE6FFF8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.234125a83a0cbe63c3781d626340cfe8.jpeg

5487C122-12B0-4340-A52C-2C9AE6736960.thumb.jpeg.fb08628f0ed6f514b55882239ae85f5d.jpeg

This walnut is 10" wide x 4/4 I did one face on the jointer and will do the other on the thickness planer. It was not flat to start with. The second picture is the other side in the rough.

So, Billy Jack,  how would you dress this without a jointer?

The first pic is adjusted to reveal the grain. It might be to light...

I'll start off saying I would use the s@%t out of that jointer but all I have is a 6" jointer. If I had a wide board that needed jointing I would use my planner sled and my thickness planner to establish one flat face then run that face through the sled and parallel the board it's a lot more futzing around but I could get there, as long as the board isn't wider than 12".

I would use a sled if I had to. There is a shop in town that I occasionally visit to face off a few wide  boards. I leave a 12 pack in the refrigerator. A good 12" powermatic. Now there is an exceptional 12" 2 blocks away. I can't imagine trying to hand plane that figured wood.

9 hours ago, curlyoak said:

F07D8A7E-0589-4A39-8867-5E538FE6FFF8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.234125a83a0cbe63c3781d626340cfe8.jpeg

5487C122-12B0-4340-A52C-2C9AE6736960.thumb.jpeg.fb08628f0ed6f514b55882239ae85f5d.jpeg

This walnut is 10" wide x 4/4 I did one face on the jointer and will do the other on the thickness planer. It was not flat to start with. The second picture is the other side in the rough.

So, Billy Jack,  how would you dress this without a jointer?

The first pic is adjusted to reveal the grain. It might be to light...

Hey if you’re trying to figure out what to do with that old wood I’ll pay for shipping :) 

Historically I need a 12" jointer once or twice a year. My 8" does a fine job for most of my work. If I had wide stock in the past I have ripped and rejoined the wood. Most can't see it. Or I have loaded the wood in my truck and driven 3 or 4 miles to a friendly shop. The rule is show up between 4 and 5 and bring a 12 pack. Then they would turn me loose on the 12" powermatic. Nice machine. Now a better choice is 2 blocks away. Included is A new table saw with a 3' plus crosscut sled. On the right project that could save a lot of time.

• Like 1