Turning MDF rollers on the table saw

Bombarde16

I need a set of roller cradles for an upcoming project. Similar to what you see in this picture.

12779241_1706326832938422_2004693619705381817_o.thumb.jpg.a0e60c37dda1da8be92c3e7971b94bdf.jpg

I have a quarter sheet of 1/2" MDF that I'm tired of tripping over.  And I've never tried Izzy Swan's table saw turning technique. Put all of this together and you have a level 5 shop cleanup in the making.

https://youtu.be/HfICKP3ZrLc

Some people say that MDF stands for "medium density fiberboard". They are incorrect. It stands for "maximum dust flurry". I'm always amazed at how much I despise working with MDF...and my seemingly limitless capacity to forget how much I despise working with MDF.

Loathesome materials aside, Izzy's technique works quite well. Even including the time to make a single use jig, this was almost as fast as doing this on the lathe and the consistency is all but foolproof.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bombarde16 said:

I'm always amazed at how much I despise working with MDF...and my seemingly limitless capacity to forget how much I despise working with MDF.

I think you picked that sentence right out of my brain. But since I discovered water resistant MDF (Medex is one brand), I'm now less hesitant to use it when I need something flat, hard, stable and/or easy to paint. It's probably just as dusty, but the dust doesn't seem as fine. And it is so much stronger & less likely to delaminate if you look at it wrong. More money, but totally worth it.

Some of Izzy Swan's stuff is downright dangerous & just makes me shake my head. What you did looks safe enough., but the only way I'd do it is if I moved the saw outside & it was a very windy day.