Gentleman’s box #2

10 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

My only comment would be to use thinner materiel on the sides maybe 1/2" or so

Thanks Paul, yeah the main case looks heavy to me as well, i was using some butternut shorts that a friend gave me for this one and the pieces were to short to put thru the 735 and didn't want to mess with putting them on a sled, all 4 are from shorts that i've had around and wood given to me as my lumber dealer is still shut down to the public, hope he's open soon or my wife will find things for me to do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chet said:

Great job again Dave.

Boxes are going to be my go to project I guess.   My wife says the house is getting kind of full of my furniture projects so I guess I need to down size my thinking.

Thanks Chet, I like to build them, lots of room for variety, not much wood or too long of a build and they make great gifts, the next one out of red gum really has some nice grain

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Thanks Drew but I could never keep up to you, even being retired where every day is a shop day. For sure get some butternut, really nice figure and something most people don’t see often

To be honest you both frustrate me with the speed at which you can knock out top notch pieces! My lowly goal for this year is to start a new piece of furniture before I run out of year :) 

• Like 1

A really neat looking box and well designed, I have tried several different boxes over the years. I have tried different woods and found doing the same box over in a different wood gave me a surprising new look. I have never used butternut during my builds but it is truly a nice looking wood. In my opinion design and wood choice is very important. Your choice of color scheme looks great. A well designed box. Like you I found my grandchildren got a lot of my attention and builds.

Did you consider toys as well for smaller projects my grandchildren seemed to really like them, and always wondering what I was going to build for them next, just a thought. Also a great way to use up the small pieces of wood. Keeps you in the shop till your wood supplier reopens. :)  John

• Like 1

Very well done Dave. I like the combo of woods as well. The darker hinges go good with them. And nice tight joints! Was the lid attached and closed when you did the recess for the lid lift or did you do them separately? 

Nice job as usual, gotta love that butternut.

4 hours ago, Chet said:

Great job again Dave.

Boxes are going to be my go to project I guess.   My wife says the house is getting kind of full of my furniture projects so I guess I need to down size my thinking.

Chet, surely she’ll allow a Maloof Rocker!

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

Very well done Dave. I like the combo of woods as well. The darker hinges go good with them. And nice tight joints! Was the lid attached and closed when you did the recess for the lid lift or did you do them separately? 

Thanks Coop, I did them separately  on the router table, 1/2” cove bit if I remember right, just set a couple of stops and made 2 light passes, the joints were on the TS with a homemade jig and a Forrest 8” dado set, I think the dark hinges work well also glad I went that way

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Thanks John, yeah I have made some toys over the years, made a toy pig with wheels 34 years ago for daughter #2 first birthday and made another one just like it for her daughters first birthday last year 

I made a nice set of bunk beds for my youngest daughter's dolls which went to my youngest granddaughter, it seemed to be one of the most useful toys I made,,, got double use. I had some small pieces of walnut and birch and made a chess board for my oldest son 20 year ago (he now 52) used up the "scrap" (never really scrap just small pieces)  and still in use today. I may post some  of the toys I built over the years in a new topic at a later date. Keep making saw dust. John

1 minute ago, treeslayer said:

I would like to see some of your projects when you have time John, here’s a checkerboard and checker box I made many years ago, not smart enough for chess, now even the grandkids beat me at checkers8F0365A2-29D1-4739-B3D1-70C3BCBFE1D8.jpeg.a1556180fed27d041a384e6d64a021e5.jpeg

I will start a new thread later today. That is a cool looking chess board and I like the checker box idea, I never thought of that, and like you my sons beats the pants off me at chess. I could beat them at one time. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

That’s cool Dave. Are the squares veneer or laminated pieces? 

Thanks Ken, it’s been a while but I think they are solid 1/2” thick pieces, I think I glued alternating strips 1 1/4” square then cut them again to 1/2” strips and glued them to MDF, I think :mellow:

• Like 1

I’d be curious to know, as I built one last year and glued the blocks to 1/4” ply and two days later, it looked like a boat hull. Members on here said it was because I didn’t glue blocks to both sides. Or maybe it was because I used ply? I don’t recall. That was several months and beers ago! 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Or just flip it over? From the pic, I thought maybe it was solid blocks like a cutting board. Just when you get a chance. Thanks bud!

You’re right Coop, just solid glued together closet to 1” thick, here’s a shot of the bottom, stayed flat for probably 5 years now68F0B291-759B-4F13-9185-65B6D05456B1.jpeg.3865e87e440cd9875a6aa0f9d726b863.jpeg

• Like 2