Under cabinet for desk

Cliff

The top of my case is just a small piece, using most of the room allowed by my desk legs. Since it won't be visible, thought it was a great time to try hand cut dovetails. Look away to avoid disaster. I'll be honest, I thought I'd do better, which as many videos as I've watched on doing this. 

Layout

19.thumb.jpg.db90a79e1cef1a14e5f2d24fd63a71a9.jpg

First cuts, look pretty good. 

20.thumb.jpg.17703d0aa5c1ad23cff7ab0b8826c7bb.jpg

Second you can see I wandered from the line, but considering this is my very first freehand saw cut to a line - I'm not mad at it. 

21.thumb.jpg.e08a396b679742a2aeef2779c06b9bca.jpg

Coping saw, I could use some practice. And a better coping saw than my $7 lowes saw. I've had my eye on the Knew Concepts one for a long time. 

22.thumb.jpg.8e6b84ba8ea27ec27f8e5b3944f51eff.jpg

New Veritas chisels sharpened up. 

23.thumb.jpg.d5469ad09a09e0fe98a61709f1335206.jpg

Really sharp. I am actually discovered that you have to file the edges down on these. I walked away from this with 11 individual cuts on my hands. None from the tip of the chisels. 

24.thumb.jpg.c7714595868b80da9c72b853367936d1.jpg

Final product - looks ok, could be better.. 

25.thumb.jpg.87af2d71815ae426d01942c2978a1ac1.jpg

Laid out the pins, lost my marking knife. I ordered a new one from Lee Valley but like everything it seems from there, it was on backorder. I just got notification yesterday that it shipped. In the meantime I used the thinnest pencil I had. It was not good enough. 

26.thumb.jpg.5373b494676730358d52cc38392363e5.jpg

I stayed pretty far from the lines so I could chisel them. I thought I could chisel accurately to the line. Spoiler: I can't. 

27.thumb.jpg.7178615c757d87c7635f3817fed784ad.jpg

Yup there they are. 29.thumb.jpg.786d249b1b381c925727a4f9a6dce4fa.jpg

30.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Test fit of vertical divider. I don't have microadjust on my router table, not sure you can do any sort of microadjust with the setup I have (as in woodpeckers/Incra setup.) Because of that I left the dovetails oversized. Then I sanded my fingers raw to get them to fit. 

You are treating a micro-adjust as a crutch that you don't have. And you don't even need it. If you can't get the accuracy you need without one, then you're still going to have problems with one They are definitely a nice to have, but if you don't have one, you can still get the same high precision results. It just takes a few seconds longer to get things setup. Search YouTube for the technique you need to work on & you will find a method that works for you.

Same thing applies to your dovetail joint fit issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

You are treating a micro-adjust as a crutch that you don't have. And you don't even need it. If you can't get the accuracy you need without one, then you're still going to have problems with one They are definitely a nice to have, but if you don't have one, you can still get the same high precision results. It just takes a few seconds longer to get things setup. Search YouTube for the technique you need to work on & you will find a method that works for you.

Same thing applies to your dovetail joint fit issues.

Well, first, there is nothing wrong with a crutch. I'm not a pro, I don't care how I achieve results. I don't care if I crutch my way through every wood project for the rest of my life. :) 

My normal method here would have been to place a mag switch magnet at the fence with a 1/32" shim then take the shim away and tap the fence to the magnet. I lost my magnet though. By lost I mean, I found it 3 hours later sitting on the planer right in front of me. This method is certainly much better than the method i tried without it. Tapping the sawstop router fence is difficult and prone to wild inaccuracy. 

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

Well, first, there is nothing wrong with a crutch. I'm not a pro, I don't care how I achieve results. I don't care if I crutch my way through every wood project for the rest of my life. :) 

I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean to disparage the crutch. Crutches are good & I've used them myself.

My point was that having difficulty with accuracy is not typically going to be solved by getting a micro adjust. That just makes the process easier & quicker. By all means, get whatever will make your woodworking more enjoyable. I was just suggesting that it would be a good idea to address your issue of not being accurate because that can only be helpful whether you have the micro-adjust or not

On 7/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, Coop said:

It actually came out respectable considering a couple of your sentences contained; “it’s not flat but who cares” and “I’m too lazy to tune up a machine”. 

Well over a 100 inch span, does a desk need to be truly flat? I wish it was. I tried to get there. But I've been using it for 2 months and absolutely cannot notice. Therefore, who cares. It wasn't who cares first, then don't try. I think that's an important distinction.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, Cliff said:

Laid out the pins, lost my marking knife. I ordered a new one from Lee Valley but like everything it seems from there, it was on backorder. I just got notification yesterday that it shipped. In the meantime I used the thinnest pencil I had. It was not good enough. 

I find that an exacto knife with a #11 blade is great for scribing dovetails.

6 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I purchased a 1/4" marking knife blank from Ron Hock some time ago, and epoxied a bit of cherry to it as a handle. Leaving the point extended about 2" makes it easy to reach into nooks and crannies.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I wish I had thought of that. My wife has those sitting around

19 hours ago, Coop said:

You bet! As long as your preferred drink doesn’t spill onto your keyboard, you’re good to go. 

Wouldn't be the first time! As an avid gamer, I often spill things with little to no help of desk flatness. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

All 10 drawer fronts??? Should have been just one.

It was like I was blind to seeing it until after I was done. So weird. I was at the router table an hour and a half with siding dovetails and grooves and my mind wandered

14 hours ago, RichardA said:

Your mind wandered?  Be thankful a finger or two didn't join your mind.

It didn't wander that far. I also had so much stuff in the way I'd have had to really struggle to get a finger in the bit. That was why I made this mistake, I couldn't see very well. 

• 3 weeks later...