Long time lurker, taking the plunge and retiring from site work.................

Against_The_Grain

" I have decided life's to short to be miserable at work ".

Truer words were never spoken, good for you.  That space looks to have great potential.  Living where the rain falls whenever it darn well pleases would drive me indoors too.  Focus on your dust collection solution early on.  This will save you a lot of effort and retrofitting later.  Glad to have you with us and look forward to seeing you here.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and the positive vibes............... makes a change for the tinterwebs :)

I have already been reading a load of posts and am starting to get a better idea of the things I need to buy.

Top of that list is a first aid kit, eye wash station and some fire fighting equipment............ Im thinking 2 x 6kg extinguishers and maybea fire blanket.

A question I do have for you already! Do you think it would be ok to make a small walk in closet (under the stairs maybe) to house my dust extractor and my main compressor? Im not sure about the air flow needed with regards to the extractor.

Thanks once again

Closets are often used to minimize the noise from those machines, just beware of the airflow needed to let them work correctly and keep the motors cool. And buy a bigger dust collection system than you think you need, because you will. Consider the flow / volume and pressure requirements for any pneumatic tools very catefully. A small 'pancake' air compressor may suffice to operate a brad nailer, but air sanders and die grinders require a much larger system.

• Like 1

Hi Highlander, thank you for the words of advice.

Shutting down the noise was the main reason for wanting to build a closet for the two loudest machines.

I know the dust extractor is 90db. I plan on buying a large ish output compressor for the spraying equipment and a 'bambi' silent compressor for the brad nailers/staplers etc

It was the airflow needed that concerns me with regrads to the closet and dust extractor. How can I calculate the size needed of said closet?

We generally dont have cyclone dust systems available here in the Uk and those that we do (Laguna) after import, they are way over priced in my opinion and a 3hp Laguna is almost double the price of the below system which is what I purchsed in the end.

I should also add, I have ordered a Festool CTM Midi I for the Mitre saw, sanders and small handheld equipment.

Anyway, its a

5HP with 355mm impeller

3 x HEPA H12 filters (15 m²)

639 litres of dust/chippings capacity with diverter flaps to send the waste to specific bags

1 x 225mm or 2 x 150mm inlets for ducting

Quiet and efficient, designed to run all day long (90db)

5,300 m³/hr @ 225 mm

3,930 Pa Static pressure

687429014_DustExtractor.thumb.jpg.56e85beaba606e289587a8178828619e.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, I would live to have that much power in a DC!

The air flow drawn in by that machine has to go somewhere. If your closet is sealed, the effect will be similar to blocking the blower, and you will greatly reduce the effectiveness. I think you need a vent system, perhaps with baffles to muffle the noise, that returns the air to the work space, or to outdoors, assuming there is ventilation to allow the removed air to be replaced in the workshop.

For the compressors, which need air for cooling, you can either include a vent fan to draw air in while the compressors run, or just run the DC to keep air flowing.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:09 AM, Against_The_Grain said:

Hi Highlander, thank you for the words of advice.

Shutting down the noise was the main reason for wanting to build a closet for the two loudest machines.

I know the dust extractor is 90db. I plan on buying a large ish output compressor for the spraying equipment and a 'bambi' silent compressor for the brad nailers/staplers etc

It was the airflow needed that concerns me with regrads to the closet and dust extractor. How can I calculate the size needed of said closet?

We generally dont have cyclone dust systems available here in the Uk and those that we do (Laguna) after import, they are way over priced in my opinion and a 3hp Laguna is almost double the price of the below system which is what I purchsed in the end.

I should also add, I have ordered a Festool CTM Midi I for the Mitre saw, sanders and small handheld equipment.

Anyway, its a

5HP with 355mm impeller

3 x HEPA H12 filters (15 m²)

639 litres of dust/chippings capacity with diverter flaps to send the waste to specific bags

1 x 225mm or 2 x 150mm inlets for ducting

Quiet and efficient, designed to run all day long (90db)

5,300 m³/hr @ 225 mm

3,930 Pa Static pressure

687429014_DustExtractor.thumb.jpg.56e85beaba606e289587a8178828619e.jpg

I hate those type dust collectors. Ever seen what happens when those bags blow. I have and it ain't funny....

Id look for something else...

Cyclones aren't economically available where he's at, he said. It looks like a good enough unit, should have lots of airflow.

I have a bag on mine and the bottom tore once; I taped it and went on. The bag was mostly full though so nothing blew out into the shop. I used the same bag for five years before i punctured it with something when passing by. In a closet, I would think that opportunity would be rare to impossible. Mine sits next to my bench and bandsaw in my tiny shop.

As for ventilation, if you could put it outside that would be ideal, but that's not often an option. So a grid in the wall to the outside about 1x1M (as a WAG) would be sufficient for most dust collectors that size. Might even get by with less.

• 1 month later...