What's Your Favorite Glue for Gluing Veneer

Hammer5573

I've been doing a lot of wood veneering the past few years and I've been disappointed with some of the results. I vacuum press my projects and attempt to follow the procedures outlined the experts in the field; however, I've noticed that some of my projects have unglued areas (i.e small bubble-like areas) in the veneer. I'm starting to question whether the Tite-Bond Cold Press glue that I've been using might be the problem? Prior to this I always used Tite-Bond II and I didn't notice these defects. Is it just me or has anybody else had similar problems?

4 hours ago, Mick S said:

My go to is TB III on projects that aren't too large. On glue ups that take more time I've been using TB liquid Hide glue with good results. It's a little stringy, but bonds well and holds its shape.

Mick,

The project that I’m currently working on is pretty large. Would the TB hide glue give me enough open time to complete the veneer application..?

1 hour ago, Hammer5573 said:

Mick,

The project that I’m currently working on is pretty large. Would the TB hide glue give me enough open time to complete the veneer application..?

Without knowing what "pretty large" is it's hard to answer, but I helped one of my students doing a bent laminated lamp, 5' tall and about 3" wide with 5 plies of pre-formed 1/4" MDF, hide glue on both faces on the inside laminations forming a double S curve and had plenty of time for adjustment. It probably took 20 minutes from first application to turning on the vacuum.

1 hour ago, BillyJack said:

Tb3 takesa bit to dry. If your concerned about application time try Tibond Extend.....

I've used the Titebond II Extend a time or 2 and found it to be really thin - like milk. I could have gotten a bad batch, though.

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

I've used the Titebond II Extend a time or 2 and found it to be really thin - like milk. I could have gotten a bad batch, though.

I bough a gallon of it & it was a lot thinner than Type II. It was kind of a pain with all the drippling. It didn't really give a whole lot more working time either. 

Veneersupplies.com has some glues especially for veneer work.  I got some Ultra-CAT for some bent lamination work so I have also been using that for veneering as I have it, but it's a powder you have to mix every time.  I would try some of their Better Bond glues as an alternative to the TB cold press, but haven't tried it myself yet.