A year down the road.....

Robby W

I am retiring next July and we are thinking about moving. My daughter and our grandkids just moved to Yadkinville, North Carolina and we are thinking about following. It is getting really expensive to live in the San Diego area and the California government seems bound and determined to tax us into poverty and take away our rights.

Anyway, we are thinking about next October for the move. It is obvious that the humidity will be different that the relatively dry air in So. California. It will be several months to a year between packing my shop and unpacking in NC. Do you think drenching my metal tools with CRC 36 will be enough or should I be thinking cosmolene or something else?

I have my power tools as well as hand tools - planes, chisels and such. If everything goes the way I want it to, I will be building my dream shop and it could be awhile before unwrapping the toys. I definitely don't want a pile of rust when I do.

Same question about my guns too. I am thinking about lubing them up, putting one of those vapor inhibitors in the gun safe, stuffing it with padding and using that as their shipping container.

Looking forward to you opinions.

• Thanks 1

I live very close to Yadkinville! When we moved last summer I put a generous coat of paste wax on my cast iron surfaces and a light coat on my handplanes/chisels. Some have been untouched since last June, in our  partially finished walk out basement that is not specifically conditioned (though I sometimes run a dehumidifier). So far I haven’t found any new rust on any of it. The only surface I have waxed since moving was my new Sawstop. 

Maybe I’ve just been lucky with rust, but after living in two relatively high-humidity places it’s never been a real problem for me. 

I don’t have any experience with CRC 36.

• Thanks 1

I was paranoid about cast iron surfaces when i moved 5 years ago. I had to store the tools in a storage unit so i had no control over water. I used 3 milplastic and gun grease. I spread the grease on the surface and then stuck plastic on to the cast iron. I then wrapped it up well in that stretch packaging wrap. It might have been overboard but I didn't get any rust. I also am unfamiliar with crc 36.

I use the CRC 3.36, and that's what I would use.  It will work fine, lasts longer than wax, is easy to clean off, and won't harm finishes if you don't,  but I'd also wrap things to keep the air off of them.

I keep a piece of plywood, or MDF, on top of machines that don't get used often, on top of the 3.36.  Just last week, I drug out a tablesaw that hadn't been used since 2016.  It had 3.36, and a sheet of plywood on it, weighted down by a pile of other stuff, and I didn't have to do anything to the cast iron top but use it.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Mark J said:

Congratulations on your pending retirement.  When it comes time to relocate are you figuring to move your big equipment yourself or use a moving company?

Hi, Mark - I am going to have it moved. Over the last few years, I have been getting everything on wheels. Moving most of the shop will take a very short time. My workbench has a trestle base that detaches from the top with two screws and four more bolts takes the base apart. My DC will be the fun part, but shouldn't be too bad. Add in a few boards, remove and pack the clamp racks and we are good to go. I will probably have most of it done and waiting for the movers. My wife's stuff is another issue. I told her that I am not going to hire more than a 40 foot semi for her stuff...... :ph34r:

On 10/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, JohnG said:

I live very close to Yadkinville!

I will have to look you up when I get there! I'll have a source for lumber info and everything!

On 10/25/2021 at 3:49 PM, Chet said:

..... I've always said I think everyone should try retirement at least once in their lifetime. 

And I am so looking forward to it. 50 years in the grinder is enough!

Thanks all for your ideas. They pretty much match what I was thinking about, so I should be ok. 

1 hour ago, Robby W said:

I am going to have it moved.

If I ever get to move out of my basement shop I'm definitely hiring movers.  I'm starting to wonder how you go about finding a company that can move equipment, especially since some of my stuff is going to have to be partially disassembled to get out the door.  (Next shop is definitely going to have a grade level entrance).

Congrats on your pending retirement Robby. I retired this past January after 53 years with the same company. It didn’t hurt that my dad owned it though. After selling the company and working for the new owner for 4 years, I had my reservations but darn sure don’t regret hanging it up.