walnut table

31 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

thanks for looking and as usual comments, questions and criticism are always welcome.

Comments: The front gran match is well executed and looks great. A non-woodworker may not be able to pointedly pick it out but will subconsciously appreciate the aesthetics achieved. I think the proportions are nice and really like the cross beam at the back. I utilize features like that as a foot rest and it increases comfort when sitting at a desk.

Question: How did you manage to get the drawer front and aprons to grain match so effectively? Did you cut the drawers out? Is the front all 1 piece or did you rip the center out and glue the top and bottom back on?

Criticism: Why hasn't this been delivered to my house already? Also slow down turbo your threatening my reputation.... :D. Jokes aside have you considered using under mount slides? The drawer material looks beautiful and the joinery is executed well it seems a shame to put side mount guides on. Your work is excellent i think it'd be worth the minimal cost increase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:03 PM, treeslayer said:

I wanted the drawers to be big enough to hold my wife’s stuff

The desires of the client often get in the way of aesthetics.  Very nicley done and very attractive.  BTW, when I use bottom drawer glides and use 2 per drawer - makes the drawers very stable.

• Like 1

Beautiful piece, Dave! The front grain flow is a really nice touch.

I've used that cut-out method before, and it works well. If the missing kerf will stand out against very distinct grain (oak, anyone?), then a 7.25" circular saw blade in the TS can reduce the kerf to nearly 1/16".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Dave, is there any bevel on the tabletop? 

Good catch Coop yes there is, not much of one I used a 1/4” shank panel raising bit I had to put a small bevel on it, the top is just shy of 7/8” to start and I thought the bevel would lighten up the look a bit

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, Chestnut said:

Criticism: Why hasn't this been delivered to my house already? Also slow down turbo your threatening my reputation.... :D. Jokes aside have you considered using under mount slides? The drawer material looks beautiful and the joinery is executed well it seems a shame to put side mount guides on. Your work is excellent i think it'd be worth the minimal cost increase.

Aside from Blum (pretty expensive for 4 drawers), is there an alternate under mount that you guys have used?

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Aside from Blum (pretty expensive for 4 drawers), is there an alternate under mount that you guys have used?

They aren't that expensive $25-$30 a drawer compared to $20 for good side mounts. Compare that to bruso hinges they are down right affordable. Yes there are unmount brands but they aren't much cheaper.

I get saving money but at some point we should recognize that most of what we do doesn't really save us money, we just get top notch quality

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, Chestnut said:

They aren't that expensive $25-$30 a drawer compared to $20 for good side mounts. Compare that to bruso hinges they are down right affordable. Yes there are unmount brands but they aren't much cheaper.

I get saving money but at some point we should recognize that most of what we do doesn't really save us money, we just get top notch quality

Drew, do you know a source of Blum’s in that price range for 16”?

Here is a link to woodworkers express for under mount slides. You'll have to sort for the size and brand you need.

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Undermount-Drawer-Slides/

It appears that Blum are out of stock but there are Knapw & Voigt available as well as another brand Grass. K&V makes good quality slides I'd recommend them equally with blum. I don't know anything about the other brand.

Keep in mind this is more of a wholesale site to sell to cabinet makers so there are few customer resources there. I'd recommend the drawer manufacture's website for resources on exactly what all is needed prior to purchase.

• Like 2