Titebond Hide Glue

Coop

ACACDC8A-E0A4-462B-B1FB-805C4002CEFF.thumb.jpeg.ef733f65614dfa7def02899c7e1b5590.jpegAfter a bit of difficulty on a glue up yesterday lining up a couple of pieces that involved 16 dominos, I decided to use the hide glue on a couple of scrap pieces to view the results. I used a couple of spring clamps to hold them together. After about 17 hours I can remove most of the squeeze out with my fingernail. It’s like TB III after an hour or so. Instructions say not to stress the joint for 24 hours. I’ll call TB’s customer support to see if this is normal. 

• Like 2

See my comment of May 30 above. From my experience, I think this is normal. I'll look forward to what customer support has to say.

Could you cut you test sample in half and do a failure test on each half; one at 24 hours and maybe 72 hours for the second?

Is this fresh glue or has it been on the shelf for a while?

I purchased it at Rockler last week so it should be freshish. I spoke with a young lady at Titebond (Franklin International) and gave her the number on the bottle which was a series of just numbers. She said it should have started with an A for America. I emailed her a pic of the number and have not heard back yet.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, Wimayo said:

Could you cut you test sample in half and do a failure test on each half; one at 24 hours and maybe 72 hours for the second?

I’ll do. Right now, I doubt I could pull it apart but there is some give, not rock solid like the other TB glues that I’m used to.

16 hours ago, Coop said:

So it’s been 24 hours and this pulled apart pretty easily. I doubt I will be using this on my project.

ADDBA286-C352-406E-AC90-A400F1AFC6EF.thumb.jpeg.5a7cba5bec5b5b9c6d0328b3ed13f4b5.jpeg 

Coop, obviously that's not "right", but it still may be "that bottle" of glue.  I'd keep after the folks at Franklin.

I talked again with the young lady at Franklin International today. It seams that the code on my bottle is not in her files. I called Rockler and their remaining on shelf stock does meet within the 2 year shelf life that TB recommends. It appears that I got an old bottle. Will drive 70 miles, round trip to exchange this stuff tomorrow. I’ll give the new bottle a try before applying it to my project. 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I talked again with the young lady at Franklin International today. It seams that the code on my bottle is not in her files. I called Rockler and their remaining on shelf stock does meet within the 2 year shelf life that TB recommends. It appears that I got an old bottle. Will drive 70 miles, round trip to exchange this stuff tomorrow. I’ll give the new bottle a try before applying it to my project. 

I would politely (as I'm sure you would) suggest to them that they make some sort of gesture for having cost you that trip and inconvenience. The mileage on your vehicle alone is worth over $50. This one is clearly entirely on them.