Simple Wooden Stools

Mr H

Good to hear from you Graham!   I hope your family is doing well!  

Back when I was building new spec houses, every house I built from the late '70's on had 5" White Oak floors.  I probably wouldn't recognize many of the woods you use over there.

Nice small group of guys here.  I document what I'm working on here more than anywhere else.  Spending more than half my time caring for my 106 year old Mother.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:40 PM, Chet said:

Welcome to the forums Mr. H.

Very nice.  Were they done with hand tools exclusively?

Hi Chet, it's been a while (I'm assuming it's the same Chet, GS Haydon here). Hope you're doing well!

Yes aside from cutting the wood to size. That was done on a circular saw at work

On 9/21/2022 at 1:17 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I like those stools, @Mr H! A question on the staked design, since I have yet to try that. How rigid do the leg joints seem, and do you see any great benefit to adding stretchers?

Hello Sir! Long time no speak. You keeping well?

The round tenons are rock solid, especially on small item like these. I follow antique dealers on Instagram and there are quite a few full size chairs that just have for or even three legs with no stretchers.

My next step on from this will be designs that have a back. I won't be adding stretchers for a while. I'm saving that until I'm really happy with my approach.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:05 AM, Tom King said:

Good to hear from you Graham!   I hope your family is doing well!  

Back when I was building new spec houses, every house I built from the late '70's on had 5" White Oak floors.  I probably wouldn't recognize many of the woods you use over there.

Nice small group of guys here.  I document what I'm working on here more than anywhere else.  Spending more than half my time caring for my 106 year old Mother.

This one's random width which lifts it a bit. I don't think many people can tell the difference between American White and Euro. White tends to be much harder and more dense in my experience.

Looks like the usual suspects are here, which is good to see

It's easy, forgot my login details after so long away. I think the email is one my brother now has at our shop so to save confusing him or having notifications going to that email I started a new one.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:56 PM, Mark J said:

Nice work.  And welcome back!

(I'm curious, why the name change)?

• Like 1

These look great I really like the splay of the legs. I have to admit my wife would only give me crap about the risk of stubbing her toe on them. I usually respond with something snarky about how she stubs her toe on the floor all the time.

Welcome back. I've read quite a few of your old posts but don't believe our posting time has overlapped on the form previously.