For the men. Had your prostate checked lately?

drzaius

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Glad your news is good, Frank! I have a cousin battling through intensive chemo for a similar prostate cancer, maybe the same variety. He's having a really hard time of it.

I hope your cousin's situation improves. Once that cancer takes hold and spreads, it can be very nasty indeed. That's a road that I'm so grateful not to have to travel.

• Thanks 1

Several years ago they started to move away from doing routine PSA testing because so many false positives were leading to unnecessary treatments. Now PSA testing seems to be making a comeback. It's really useful to have it done yearly, which creates a base line which makes it easier to determine if a given level of PSA is a spike or just a normal reading from a healthy prostate. My level was historically around 2, but had spiked to 7.5. That sudden change indicated that things were amiss. 

The digital exams are not done as routinely as they once were, which doesn't bother me a bit :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other medical specialties have plenty of ‘unpleasant’ procedures. 

We have some family/friends in specialities I would have never guessed, but they were interested in the medical/scientific side of it or had a personal connection to the topic. 

I always thought that men going into OBGYN were setting themselves up for failure (what woman is going to pick the male provider over female for for that?), but I know a guy that’s going that route, even though he had never even considered that profession until he had done his required rotations in it. 

Podiatrists are not MDs.