Wood Movement Question

roughsawn

I'm getting pretty close to attaching my workbench to to the cabinet. How should I attach it, and with the materials used, should I even worry about it?

The cabinet is built out of quarter sawn red oak. Bottom, sides, center divider, stretchers, and back are panels glued up from ripped quarter sawn boards. The workbench top is 6'X32" made up of 1" wide X 2" tall laminated red oak boards, from the same quarter sawn lumber. So, approximately 30 boards laminated together, along with the 1" border, mitered at the corners.

Is this wood stable enough to just screw the top to the stretchers and cabinet, without worrying about movement? If not, how would you guys attach the top to the cabinet? Thanks!

Send a picture of the ends of the cabinet, that would help. Are the ends of the cabinet solid panels or framed with a floating panel? Your top will move but if you cabinet ends are solid panels constructed so the panels are vertical than you might get away with srcewing it down because the sides should move relative to the top. Movement across the grain, not along the grain is what you need to be concerned about. Movement along the grain is minimal if any. If the grain orientation of solid side panels matches the grain orientation of the top than you should be ok. But if you have frame and panel sides you won't be ok. 

You also could screw down the top if your screw holes are oversized under the screw heads, this would allow some movement of the top and the screw has freedom to move some under your screw head, but figure 8s would likely be better in this situation.

I have set tops on large dowels but, they were thicker and heavier.

1783054848_TNNW(72).jpg.53f0662a5e4d15d603a83107aa08ec8e.jpg

Given that the attachment method was not planned I would use figure 8's as Tpt suggests or oversized holes and lag screws to allow for movement.  A lot of things including finishing protocol need to be factored in during the design phase. Fortunately our craft allows for all sorts of last minute adjustments for things.  Red oak can be pretty flexible over the seasons so I would thing angled pocket holes through the legs to accept #8 or #10 washer head screws would do the trick.

I think the benchtop is the most likely component to expand and contract, even using quarter sawn material, just because of it's mass. 

One online wood movement calculator I checked claims only 5/64" of movement expected for the average yearly RH swings in my region, so maybe it would be fine. You'll know soon enough,if you mitered a frame around it.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, Bmac said:

Are the ends of the cabinet solid panels or framed with a floating panel? Your top will move but if you cabinet ends are solid panels constructed so the panels are vertical than you might get away with srcewing it down because the sides should move relative to the top..

All 3 panels are solid panels. Grain direction is the same as the bench top.

You also could screw down the top if your screw holes are oversized under the screw heads, this would allow some movement of the top and the screw has freedom to move some under your screw head.

This is the way I was planning on attaching it.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, roughsawn said:

No, I did not. Rolling the dice. How does the saying go...it's shop furniture.:lol:

At the risk of sounding stupid...what kind of provisions would you make? Corner butt joints instead? I really don't know what you would do to a corner miter to allow for movement. Enlighten me.

20230205_171844.jpg

“I really don't know what you would do to a corner miter to allow for movement. Enlighten me.”

You don’t… 

I really dont think that there is a way to avoid problems when you build a solid wood mitered frame around a solid wood bench or table top.  Year ago I made a reaaly nice (my opinion) coffe table with a 3" wide walnut frame around an solid alder top and the top split the first winter.  The crack closes up again in the moreh umid summers.  If you attached the mitered frames pieces at the end of the bench with a fastener that allows movement like piin nails or screw with oversized holes the top will not split but the miters will have problems.  As you siad its a roll of the dice and its shop furniture.  If I were you I would consider 1) cutting the end frame pices off and installing a breadboard end or 2 cut the end off and sand the exposed end grain and leave it exposed.  You can do either of these now or later after you see what happens.

OH, just thought of another possiblity.  I made a small table with a raised border once and, since it was only 14" wide I made the frame on the ends of the tble in 2 pieces with a 1/8" gap in the frame in the center of each end so the each piece of the frame was restraing only about 7" of table top movement.  You might be able to cut through your end boarder, not inot the top with a thin kerf hand saw 3 times - 8" apart call it good.  I shaped the gap for aesthetics but a simple cut would do it. This assumes that you glued the frame to the end of the bench top.  Good luck.

IMG_20211209_122408956.thumb.jpg.af31969d33a5bdbc7e96f67393eab02a.jpg

• Like 1