Sideboard for the Dining Room

gee-dub

I really hope your wrist heals. I damaged some tendons in my wrist doing domestic chores as well i opted to take a 2 week break to have it heal. I couldn't turn a clamp handle or pick up a board with out a decent twinge of pain. Strength was reduced too.

Hopefully this just means you take more pictures and type a bit more :D the details are always appreciated.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:24 AM, Coop said:

Did you cut the veneer extra thick from the get go just so you would have extra meat to work with in the planing process? 

That is correct  I was probably being overly cautions since I milled the inside material true and square.  For the veneer donor board I joint a face and edge and then plane the opposite face.  I then rip a face off, re-plane to parallel and rip off another piece.  This yields a milled face for gluing and a bandsawn face for later milling.  There is a bit of irregularity there and I wanted to be sure I would have enough "meat" to get to my final dimensions.  The veneers ended up about 1/16" to 3/32" thick.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 7:03 PM, Coop said:

Must be the pollen count here, gosh dog it! I can see the advantage of a top/bottom bearing when routing with a pattern located on top or bottom of the piece. But how does that aid in climb cutting? 

Not for climb cutting in this case.  The template is moved from the top of the blank to the bottom or vice versa.  The bit height is changed to engage the top or bottom bearing with the template . . . whatever is required to allow you to route downhill versus climb cutting.  I put a center line on the template and the blank.  This let's me quickly line things up if I am flipping the blank or moving the template from top to bottom.  There is no one-rule per se.  It is just a matter of having the flexibility to change the template or bit so as to allow routing with the grain as opposed to against it..  Those tight little s-curves in the cloud lifts can really give you the opportunity to blow out if you are routing up hill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 6:52 AM, Von said:

Sorry to hear about the injury. Looks like you are off to a good start and I like how you have your shop organized from what I can see in the background.

Thanks Von.  There is a thread on the shop build a couple years ago here although it can be a bit of a haul and its not required reading :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gee-dub said:

It has been years since I confirmed the position of my router motor in my lift. Turned out it needed an additional strip of foil tape

Showing my ignorance here, but what was out of adjustment?  I'm sure I just put my router motor in the lift and tightened the holder.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, gee-dub said:

It may be a weirdness of mine but I really enjoy selecting the locations in my material where I will take certain parts from.

I enjoy this process as well.  I think it is time well spent to pick out features that nobody will notice except you. ;)  Had a family member just notice the grain pattern on the three drawers of a sideboard I built in 2018.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, gee-dub said:

Just showing this as an example of using setup blocks.  The same template is used for the upper and lower rail.  The lower rail is 1" wider so I just step it off with 1-2-3 blocks.

I just watched a vertical mill tutorial showing the use of machinist parallels in a similar fashion. It's amazing just how useful two identically sized pieces of material can be.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 8:08 PM, gee-dub said:

It may be a weirdness of mine but I really enjoy selecting the locations in my material where I will take certain parts from.

I think this is just the next level in creating furniture and "painting with grain" as marc puts it. I'm not an expert at grain selection by any means but i enjoy this aspect as well. Good grain selection can take a plain boring piece of furniture and make it striking and impactful.

Not only does it help visually but selecting good grain can help in template routing to help minimize the tear out.

• Like 1