Sideboard for the Dining Room

gee-dub

15 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I now use the smallest diameter slot cutter I have

What slot cutter is that I like the small diameter. I have a couple others with larger diameters and hate the chisel work they take. That said the chisel work is still preferable to using a small strait bit. I'm getting tinnitus just thinking about cutting grooves with a strait bit again.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:31 AM, Chestnut said:

What slot cutter is that I like the small diameter. I have a couple others with larger diameters and hate the chisel work they take. That said the chisel work is still preferable to using a small strait bit. I'm getting tinnitus just thinking about cutting grooves with a strait bit again.

Once upon a time Woodcraft sold "Woodcraft" branded router bits with the forest green paint.  These were about on a par with Rockler, CMT and others.  At some point they moved away from this practice and had a $5 bit sale.  Ten bits for $50!?!  I bought . . . a few.  Since they cost less than shipping to get them sharpened I often just toss them when they are done. 

This bit from Lee Valley might be an alternative.  I have the 1/8" high version of it that I use for box making with good success for the same reasons, it minimizes the corner cleanout.  Depending on our age we may have grown up when you could go back 6 years later (as an example) and expected to find the same item available.  I learned a while back that once we moved away from that model that if I find something that is a consumable that I like and will want again I better buy my own stock :D.  Sorry the source on the one shown has dried up. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Enjoying the build again!!

Order some of these, starting with the lightest resistance ones (yellow??? don't remember).  Once your wrist lets you start doing anything, these are a big help.  I don't remember how I hurt a wrist several years ago, but ended up with all of the different ones of these.

Start with the lightest resistance, and if you don't think it was worth it, I'll pay for it, I feel that strongly enough to guarantee it.

Once you can handle the stiffest ones, go to a wrist roller.  I made one many years ago with a piece of 1-1/2" dowel with a hold drilled in the middle to tie to a barbell weight.  Roll the weight up, and back down to build a grip than can crush Walnuts like George Washington did.

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Tendonitis-Strength-Resistance-Tendinitis/dp/B00067E4YU/ref=asc_df_B00067E4YU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198080784939&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12692790313433695376&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009786&hvtargid=pla-350280801728&th=1

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tom King said:

Enjoying the build again!!

Order some of these,

Thanks Tom!  I have one.  This is also not my first rodeo with tennis elbow, shoulder impingement etc.  Apparently my brain thinks I am 6'2" and 225lbs.  The reality is I am 5'10" and 170 :D:D:D.  The result being that I have pushed a bit too hard a few times.  Not proud of it.  I know better.  Time and PT are the healer for these injuries.  I am a patient man . . . . unless I want to do something and can't :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gee-dub said:

but the offset in this case makes that a no-go. I grabbed some scrap and made some K-Body connectors.

I don't know why we don't see this more often it's a great way to extend clamps. I boxed mine to help eliminate the floppiness that happens when 1 end is open. It also gives some bearing surface so the bar doesn't dent the work piece. I know you can stick in a spacer but one less thing to juggle during a large glue up helps imo.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:18 AM, Chestnut said:

I don't know why we don't see this more often it's a great way to extend clamps. I boxed mine to help eliminate the floppiness that happens when 1 end is open. It also gives some bearing surface so the bar doesn't dent the work piece. I know you can stick in a spacer but one less thing to juggle during a large glue up helps imo.

Thanks Drew.  I noticed the sloppiness and figured it would be a problem and I would have to do something about it.  Boxing in the 'joiner' sound like the way to go.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, Coop said:

Are the Fox face frame clamps you posted on Sunday, the ones used in your last post? 

They are the same type but I believe mine are Harbor Freight.  I don't see them listed on their site anymore though.  HF is kinda like the 99cent store; they don't always carry the same stuff :D.  Most of the time they sit in a plastic bin on a shelf.  I have both styles and when that sort of clamping comes along they are great to have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, gee-dub said:

The Match Fit sled really saves the day while I am gimpy-wristed. 

I've been a t-track fan but am looking hard at Match Fit for jigs like you show - where I want lots of flexibility in a large surface. Any lessons learned? TIA.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:45 PM, gee-dub said:

There is a thread on the shop build a couple years ago here although it can be a bit of a haul and its not required reading :D

The outcome of your shop build would make any woodworker jealous. For anybody considering building a shop, this is required reading! Far better than a book or magazine. In the process valid questions and comments are offered with exceptional pictures. This thread is a gift to anyone involved with the pleasure of woodworking. And gee-dub you keep bringing your ideas and sage advice. And fortunately gee-dub will currently answer any question you may have.

I have suffered many injuries. I would suggest to take a weekly accounting of your wrists. Serious injuries do not improve minute by minute or day by day. Looking daily may cause depression. And is information that has no benefit. A weekly assessment will give you accurate info on how you are really doing. Best of luck!