Sideboard for the Dining Room

gee-dub

On 5/16/2023 at 2:53 PM, gee-dub said:

Limping along . . . . Actually I'm making pretty good progress. My gimpy wrist is almost a memory and many of the next few steps require a "do and wait" situation. Gluing / clamping the splines in place.

924966157_Sideboard(238).thumb.jpg.4d83b563693d79ba34a5d33e289ce094.jpg

I got a laugh out of some of my Jorgies.  It is easy to tell the ones I bought when I re-started my woodworking efforts 20-odd years ago versus the ones I have left over from my college years when I used to make tuition money by building flying sound reinforcement speaker cabinets . . . note the rich patina :D

259705576_Sideboard(237).thumb.jpg.c26acfd57b15cdf0f664205f360c9f54.jpg

At any rate, the splines are in place and I am moving along . . .

1832404288_Sideboard(239).thumb.jpg.f3871b6d86ea27d3727bc909dfdf4fe5.jpg

Does that patina come in rolls, and are they from amazon?

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2023 at 2:53 PM, gee-dub said:

Limping along . . . . Actually I'm making pretty good progress. My gimpy wrist is almost a memory and many of the next few steps require a "do and wait" situation. Gluing / clamping the splines in place.

924966157_Sideboard(238).thumb.jpg.4d83b563693d79ba34a5d33e289ce094.jpg

I got a laugh out of some of my Jorgies.  It is easy to tell the ones I bought when I re-started my woodworking efforts 20-odd years ago versus the ones I have left over from my college years when I used to make tuition money by building flying sound reinforcement speaker cabinets . . . note the rich patina :D

259705576_Sideboard(237).thumb.jpg.c26acfd57b15cdf0f664205f360c9f54.jpg

At any rate, the splines are in place and I am moving along . . .

1832404288_Sideboard(239).thumb.jpg.f3871b6d86ea27d3727bc909dfdf4fe5.jpg

Glenn I assume apply finish over the whole piece including the inlays correct?

@pkinneb - Correct.  Depending on the base material (walnut for example) I may finish the bulk of the piece, add the ebony accents, and then apply the final top coat.  For the sepele I am not adding a lot of coloration since it tends to darken on its own.  Therefor I will just finish the whole piece, accents and all, as a unit.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 6:22 PM, gee-dub said:

but hope that some folks who are newer to the craft may get some good out of things

Heck Glenn, I have been enjoying this hobby for decades and still get nuggets out of your's and many other journals here.

• Like 2

@Mark J - I am going to go with 'not necessary' as I do not do that step.  There are definitely some exotics that are oily and require some extra attention prior to gluing or finishing.  I am not contradicting anyone who recommends that this be done.  I have used a fair amount of ebony over the last 20 years.  I have never taken this precaution and have not had issues. 

This could certainly vary with your finish.  My varnish component used to be a modified phenolic (Cabot's) until it became difficult to get on the left coast . . . now I use a modified alkyd spar product (McCloskey's).  Both have some flexibility after curing.  I (non-scientifically) credit this to my lack of problems with finishes over splines and inlay, breadboard ends versus table tops and so forth.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, Chet said:

I honestly have not paid attention, is you finish a wipe-on or brush-on?  I don't see a lot of drop clothes so I am assuming you aren't spraying.

It is a wipe on finish.  This one happens to be a 3:2:1 of varnish:mineral spirits:BLO with a bit of Transtint Medium Brown to warm up the "reddish-orange" in the sepele.  The sepele really sucks up the varnish so I imagine there will be 4 or 5 coats for the service surfaces like the top, pullouts, and pulls with 3 to 4 coats for the balance.

Correct.  Mirka Mirlon 1500 and 2500 through Amazon or whenever I see a good price.  I find having a half dozen or so pieces around keeps me well supplied for a long, long time.  For "finishing the finish" tasks I find 800 - 1200 grit wet dry and a cork block padded with a worn out piece of non-woven does a nice job.  The higher grit non-woven is only for spot dressing any small details.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:26 AM, Chet said:

I really like the color and warmth you finish is giving the project.  Sapele has become on of my favorite woods to work with.

Of the three known to me, hardwood suppliers in my area, only one carries Sapele and they sell it as an exotic. And their price is per linear foot and the price sheet says “Market Price”. You’d think I was ordering lobster tails at a restaurant in New Mexico! 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:50 PM, Coop said:

their price is per linear foot and the price sheet says “Market Price”.

Never quite understood this.  For the most part everything is sold at market price.  But I guess it is mostly associated with Lobster and Sapele.  

Some out of the ordinary weather the last few days has slowed me getting to the "finishing the finish" stage on the latest effort. The top and a few other parts got done today . . .
688800961_Sideboard(256).thumb.jpg.c535c9f9b419729303af898e31e2d774.jpg
The balance should be ready tomorrow (wait . . . I've been hearing that for the last three days!?!) so I hope to have it ready for delivery in a couple more days.
  • Like 1