Cabinet for Beverage Fridge

I have zero true cabinet-making experience, but I would like to make a cabinet that can hold (or go over) a beverage fridge similar to what is pictured below. Given my inexperience, I was really hoping to find some plans that I could just follow directly. Are any of you aware of plans for this type of build? I'm assuming that you need particular clearances around the fridge to allow for air flow, but I have no idea what those might be. Are there cabinet-making references that cover this type of stuff?

The Live Edge Beverage Center Coffee Bar Wine Bar Beverage image 1

• Like 1

Yes, the fridge manual will specify the opening size needed. Start there and build out from it. This is a good opportunity to build from scratch instead of following a plan!

Watch/read a bit about making kitchen cabinets, the picture above is basically 2 base cabinets with a gap between them, and you get to skip making doors for the fridge side. 

Ok. My eyes are now bleeding after watching too many cabinet builds on YouTube. 

For cabinets that go over refrigerators, it seems like some people have the fridge sit on the floor, while others (like in the picture) have the fridge sit on the toe kick. Is there any reason beyond aesthetics that you would want the fridge to sit on top of the toe kick?

Probably just depends on the height of the fridge and cabinet, or maybe the look of the fridge. 
The above would look funny if the fridge sat on the floor and had a tall rail piece above it. Having it sit on the cabinet gives a more symmetrical look. You could shorten the whole cabinet to avoid a gap above it, but then the counter might feel too low. Similarly, if you get a taller fridge, you might have to set it on the floor to avoid an unusually high counter top. 

On 6/29/2023 at 5:24 AM, TomInNC said:

Ok. My eyes are now bleeding after watching too many cabinet builds on YouTube. 

For cabinets that go over refrigerators, it seems like some people have the fridge sit on the floor, while others (like in the picture) have the fridge sit on the toe kick. Is there any reason beyond aesthetics that you would want the fridge to sit on top of the toe kick?

Afew of my family members (we're a pretty tall clan) used to put their fridge up on risers to make it easier to get things out without having to stoop. This was largely before bottom-drawer-freezers were affordable though.

In case YouTube wasn't bad enough, here's my own build: a simple oak plywood box that sits on our beer fridge. The two shelves are sized to hold 12oz cans (though clearly sometimes I'm too lazy to put them in there).

PXL_20230629_154432816.thumb.jpg.ec428fbd00032c12288562d074443282.jpg

I have two possibly very dumb questions after reading/watching more cabinet stuff. 

First, I have seen several examples where people installed the cabinets by first making a frame and leveling the frame on the floor (e.g., TWW video below), then installing the cabinets onto the frame. In some cases (e.g.,. around minute 26 on Bourbon moth link). In other examples, people just build a box for the base cabinet, then attach the entire box to the wall after shimming without making a frame. Are there any advantages of one of these approaches over the other?

My second question is about how to properly span the gap where the fridge will go. In the example the Wtnhighlander posted, there appears to be a rail that spans where the part of the cabinet that houses the drawers and the exterior panel on the other side of the fridge. 

In other builds (e.g., the white cabinets below), there doesn't appear to be a rail. In white cabinet example, are the left and right base cabinets only connected via the countertop, or is there some kind of rail/stretcher connecting the base cabinets that isn't visible?

BeverageCenterNoRail.jpeg.9dfa3f37c76aef450ba069143cc03706.jpeg

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/shop-cabinets/ 

• Like 1

The need for a rain (aside from appearance considerations) hinges on the strength of the top, the width of the span, and if there is support structure in the back. Search the web for 'sagulator', an online calculator that can tell you how  much a 'shelf' of a given material, thickness,and span will sag under a given force. 

Unless you and another and possibly a third person plan on celebrating on the top, I don’t think an apron/rail is necessary.:D As mentioned, preferred aesthetics would be your call. I would use at least 3/4” material for the top, for looks and strength. 

Unless I was building for an NBA center, I would use 36" as a starting point. It seems under counter refrigerators have different dimensions but most will fit under a 36" counter hight. Some of the refrigerator  needs to be on a floor and others fit on a cabinet bottom. The build accommodates the refrigerator  size or find one that accommodates your idea. Bottom line the starting point of design evolves around the refrigerator.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:33 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I made a very similar 'bar' to go over a fridge like that, some time ago. The manual for the fridge is the best place to look for clearances and such.

The journal might provide some helpful info.

Wtnhighlander, did you attach the fridge cabinet from that journal to the wall, or was it a standalone piece? I couldn't tell from the picture. 

I am planning on using a solid wood counter as well, and the wife wants face grain showing. I know the top will expand and contract, but I'm not sure how to handle this with the cabinet installed against the wall. If I just attach the top to the counter top using table top fasteners and butt one end of the counter against the wall, is that enough to redirect all the movement away from the wall?

• Like 1

@TomInNC, mine is free-standing.

If the grain of your top runs with the long dimension of the cabinet, then it will expand across the grain, front <> back. I suggest fastening it solid at the back, leaving the front loose enough to float. 

If you expect significant movement, some metal hardware from the home center can cobble together to form free-floating fasteners with a lot of range. I did that in another project, here.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:15 AM, TomInNC said:

I have two possibly very dumb questions after reading/watching more cabinet stuff. 

First, I have seen several examples where people installed the cabinets by first making a frame and leveling the frame on the floor (e.g., TWW video below), then installing the cabinets onto the frame. In some cases (e.g.,. around minute 26 on Bourbon moth link). In other examples, people just build a box for the base cabinet, then attach the entire box to the wall after shimming without making a frame. Are there any advantages of one of these approaches over the other?

My second question is about how to properly span the gap where the fridge will go. In the example the Wtnhighlander posted, there appears to be a rail that spans where the part of the cabinet that houses the drawers and the exterior panel on the other side of the fridge. 

In other builds (e.g., the white cabinets below), there doesn't appear to be a rail. In white cabinet example, are the left and right base cabinets only connected via the countertop, or is there some kind of rail/stretcher connecting the base cabinets that isn't visible?

BeverageCenterNoRail.jpeg.9dfa3f37c76aef450ba069143cc03706.jpeg

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/shop-cabinets/ 

The picture is screwed up . The center stile between refs is incorrect. It should have a toe kick to match. 

I’m also clueless to why the bases extend past the wall.. 

Mus5 have been a budget job..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surveying the area where I want to put the cabinets, and there are some existing electrical outlets along the wall where I would like to put the cabinets. Are  there any tricks that any of you use for cutting access holes for existing outlets in built-ins and cabinets? Also, is there anything I should be aware of regarding electrical code? I know I have had outlets in built-ins before that someone else had made.