A note about spammers

@wtnhighlander & @Chet

Right now the policy is that if two member report a given post as spam the offending post is temporarily removed (pending moderator review).

Would it be possible to temporarily ban a poster if two of their posts get reported as spam?

Otherwise we're just cleaning up the mess, not stemming the inflow. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:03 AM, Mark J said:

Would it be possible to temporarily ban a poster if two of their posts get reported as spam?

When two members report something, like you said, it is temporarily removed from view on the forums.  Once Ross or I ban whoever or whatever connected to that report, any other post that that "entity" posted are permanently gone at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:08 AM, Mark J said:

Do those "I am not a robot" things work?

Partially, which is basically the answer to every question like this. They're a combination of a few anti-bot techniques, and do stop the majority out there. But no generalized solution will be 100% effective or remain that way. Particularly if a bot author programs it to navigate a particular platform.

The big problem seems to be that once a bogus account is active, the 'bot blasts it with posts as fast as the software allows. These accounts are hitting a dozen or more posts within a few minutes.

And FYI, @Chetmay have more power than I, but I have no access to chsnge forum software settings. I think that is up to @thewoodwhisperer or the sysadmin he works with.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...