down for the count

curlyoak

I had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago, right shoulder.  It was supposed to be rotator cuff with small bone spur but it turned out to be so minimal on the rotator cuff that he didn't touch that.  He did, however, cut off what he said was a huge bone spur and a large chunk of arthritis off my collarbone and told my wife that 'he is going to hurt for a while'.  Doc was right; it hurts!

PT is going well and I'm gaining some range of motion back in my right arm (I'm right handed).  Ditched the sling after two days, fwiw.  Sleeping is tough, though, and I stopped the pain pills a week after the surgery, would probably sleep better if I took them but I'm a bit on the stubborn side. ;)

Hope your recovery goes well - do all the PT you can!

• Thanks 1

I had the left shoulder done 11 years ago. That one took 6 week and a lot of PT. Doc says I should be a lot better in a few days. I am just over 24 hours and feel improvement. and still on the pain pills. I take half of what doc perscribes. A little remaining pain helps me protect myself.

• Like 2

I had the same - 3 incisions and 5 stitches.  My doc does these every Thursday morning, week in and week out, and has for years.  I had no idea there were so many bum shoulders but he said it's a common injury and that most men and some women have some sort of rotator issue and don't even know it until the pain begins. He said he's literally done thousands and is (in our region) well respected as 'the' doc for shoulder surgeries.

Glad you had a similar experience and truly hope your recovery goes well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...