Cabinet Software with Plans

TomInNC

Is there any cabinet software (free or paid) that includes pre-loaded plans/sketches that you could use to create cut lists? I found this website yesterday (https://www.cabinets.com/createkitchen/blank-slate) which lets you pick from standard cabinet sizes/styles and place them in a room to visualize them. The goal of this particular app is to sell you the cabinets, but I was hoping to find something similar that would produce cut lists and material lists to just make the cabinets on your own. This is my first real cabinet project, and I'm basically looking for an idiot proof (or nearly so) way to place the order with the plywood supplier. I know that a lot of people use Sketchup, but it was my understanding that you just start with a blank slate in Sketchup as opposed to some stock plans that you can tweak. Is that right?

On 8/1/2023 at 8:43 PM, TomInNC said:

Is there any cabinet software (free or paid) that includes pre-loaded plans/sketches that you could use to create cut lists? I found this website yesterday (https://www.cabinets.com/createkitchen/blank-slate) which lets you pick from standard cabinet sizes/styles and place them in a room to visualize them. The goal of this particular app is to sell you the cabinets, but I was hoping to find something similar that would produce cut lists and material lists to just make the cabinets on your own. This is my first real cabinet project, and I'm basically looking for an idiot proof (or nearly so) way to place the order with the plywood supplier. I know that a lot of people use Sketchup, but it was my understanding that you just start with a blank slate in Sketchup as opposed to some stock plans that you can tweak. Is that right?

It’s a lot more challenging to understand the software than it seems. I understand many methods of cabinet making and I still have to do one step at a time just to get the cabinet the way I build. When I used this program I had all my left end, right ends, wall to walls finish to walls all figured out and had to only adjust the size.

Its my winter project and I’ll stop till fall and I’ll start the program back up.

What ever you figure out buy an extra sheet or 2. Over buying plywood is never a bad thing. Good plywood always has a use. Yeah it's expensive but even  priced at $200 a sheet it's going to be much cheaper than the composable cabinet from a shop. I haven't seen a veneer ply cabinet in a LONG time almost everything is particle board.

I can't really help with the estimating as building enough cabinets I just design on the fly. Using software would just slow me down and lead to mistakes.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:48 PM, TomInNC said:

Thanks. I will take a look at the Sketchup models to see if there's anything close to what I was looking for. It also looks like a few of the cabinet software programs have free trials.

Do you have a cabinet construction method or are you looking find one? Individual boxes or custom units?

I'm open to suggestions on the construction method. I only need base cabinets for the first part of the project, so that should simplify things. I know that I want face frame cabinets, and I also want to build a separate platform as the toe kick to simplify the leveling as the cabinets are being installed on an uneven basement floor. I will be using 3/4 maple plywood and likely hard maple for the face frames. For the very first part of the build, I will just need two cabinets that are installed around a beverage fridge. For the left side I'm thinking an 18" wide cabinet that will house a pullout trash can on bottom and a drawer on top. For the right side I was thinking a drawer on top and two doors on the bottom. For the doors, I am planning on doing frame and panel with a flat panel. 

It doesn’t sound too complicated. 

I built the bottom cabinets , finished and installed. Them made the top with wood edge and finished, the top was tiled. Then I made uppers that sat on the top and went to the ceiling.  I had to do it in stages.

Mine are flat panel. I’m still retilling the floor.

20230803_113648.jpg

Ok. I will draw something up when I get some time and post it on here. 

If I am building a separate base for the base cabinets, do I have to anchor the base to the floor? Or should it be sufficient to attach the base to the lowest part of the wall and then screw the cabinet into the base? I've seen both approaches in videos, and in some examples the base and cabinet were both attached to the wall, but the cabinet and base were not attached to each other.

I called the plywood supplier, and it sounds like my best options are birch or maple ply. Is there any reason to pick one over the other if I am painting them?

With a separate toe, you need to level and attach to the floor. Pit a screw or o thru tye back of the toe into the plate/studs to lock it in both directions..

Most times on concrete I will just  use liquid nails. 

There was so many more step to a loos toe, I stopped using them..

Sketchlist 3D Pro version is software that gives you access to already drawn projects also. Recently this company also began development of a "repository" of Sketchlist owner projects. The cabinets and other projects  that are already included in Sketchlist (Cabinet Wizard) allow the user to import the project after making various measurement changes. Then it becomes a standard drawing in Sketchlist to which the user can modify and add components to. There are defiinitely importable cabinet drawings in Cabinte Wizard. (I haven't done that recently but they went through a development phase 1-2 years ago and added a lot. You can even save at a cabinet drawing, for example, in your own library and just use it as a starting point the next time. Or, also, you could save specific components from a cabinet and re-use that the next time.

The current generation of Sketchlist is version 5. It is easy to learn. It essentially allows the user to build the project board by board, with optons to copy parts that are duplicated in the drawing. I found that it is much easier to learn to use than Sketchup and only took a very short period of time before I could draw a basic project; just a little longer to be able to draw more complex items.

I don't do a lot of drawings and there are gaps between my uses. I still find that it's easy to use again even after a number of months of not using it.

You will always have to make changes to suit your needs on importable drawings. Sometimes you will want to even change the design. However, all cabinets have some basic components and, for those, it's useful to be able to import the drawing and make changes.

Going back to pre-technology in woodworking, there are books which provide basic information. "The Complete Cabinetmaker's Reference" and "The Drawer Book". These books provide basic drawings of various types of cabinets and drawers with various possible measurements for each. I think these books are very useful in helping to make drawings because they provide basic measurements for standard cabinets and drawers. This is helpful if you are a beginner in cabinets and drawers. If you are interested in these books and can't find them let me know.

In the end, whatever you use, you will almost always need to take an existing drawing, whether it's online or on paper, and modify it for your own use.

• Like 1

It is true that, sometimes, it is easier to draw by hand. However, Sketchlist (and others), for example, create a list of parts from which to work with actual sizes. This does help when selecting rough board sizes, rough cutting the individual parts, and helps ensure that you have the wood required. Of course, not all woodworkers need this, but I find that, it gives me a reference to work from when I'm prepping the various parts.

For me, it's just like another tool. We each have our preferences; the tools we feel comfortable with.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I do realize that I will need to alter whatever designs are available. I was just looking for something to get started on the programs. One of the primary benefits of using software for me personally is that I only get shop time sporadically, so software would be one way to ensure that I stay organized and don't lose the paper floating around the garage.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:56 AM, TomInNC said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I do realize that I will need to alter whatever designs are available. I was just looking for something to get started on the programs. One of the primary benefits of using software for me personally is that I only get shop time sporadically, so software would be one way to ensure that I stay organized and don't lose the paper floating around the garage.

If you can come up with a hand drawn layout identifying finished ends and wall. It’s not hard to figure about how much plywood you will need depending on what you’ll use for finished ends, guts, walls, drawer materials, etc.

cabinet guys with software will come measure where you want cabinets making doors /windows/stove/refrigerator.. 

The problem  with internet help….They like to help, but often get bored and want to move on. I’ll help from start to finish if need,.

Thanks for the offer, BillyJack. I appreciate it. Based on one of your older posts, I tracked down a copy of eCabinets. This looks like what I was describing in the original post. I found a library of plans that they have for different cabinet types. Now I just have to figure out how to load it. Haha. 

On 8/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, TomInNC said:

Thanks for the offer, BillyJack. I appreciate it. Based on one of your older posts, I tracked down a copy of eCabinets. This looks like what I was describing in the original post. I found a library of plans that they have for different cabinet types. Now I just have to figure out how to load it. Haha. 

You may have to have Ecabinets to open the files. I’ve got a lot of cabinets on another computer I need to upload to current computer from previous jobs. They won’t open without a current version  of Ecabinets.