What is the top 3 frustating thing that you're encountering in your woodworking lifestyle ?

On 4/23/2024 at 8:34 AM, William R said:

I think space. It doesn’t matter how big your shop is you’ll fill it up. 
The price of wood locally (my area) at one place they’re asking 12-15 dollars a bf for red oak. And more for higher quality. Have to drive 45miles oneway to get decent price on wood (I’m sure others have to drive further.

Ditto.  If I want decent wood at a reasonable price, I need to drive for hours "out to where they grow the trees".  I'm going to try mail order lumber for my next project.  Now that I'm retired, I can more easily be home to accept delivery.

And space, of course.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 5:26 PM, tperson said:

1) Time. I work full time + plus some. I have 5 kids at home, have 4 large gardens, keep bees, am involved heavily in 4-H shooting sports, am too cheap to pay for automotive/home repairs and too cheap to buy something I can make. I'm also known as the 'fix it guy' in my large circle of friends (small engines, vehicles, atv's, electrical issues, etc)...there's simply not enough hours in the day to accomplish what needs to be done, let alone what I want to get done.

2) Accessibility to, well, anything. While I may not live on the edge of the earth, you can see it from my front steps. Amazon take 5 days to deliver, the closest town is 475 people, the hardware store 25 miles away caters to anything except woodworking, and the closest BORG is an hour away. Never fails, get spun up into a project and need XXX; two choices: drive 30 minutes to hope to find it or order from amazon and wait 5 days. Reasonably priced lumber also falls into this category. The local-ish lumberyard the other day (last Friday) wouldn't sell me a 1/2 sheet of 1/2" birch ply because they didn't have a sku for it...they didn't care about me, they were concerned about selling the other 1/2 sheet. Why did I only want a 1/2 sheet? See #3. 

3) Space. This is my own undoing...I have a heated/cooled 20x20 well-equipped, dedicated workspace that's disorganized. Disconnect this, move that, find this...all to perform one task.

4) ...Wait...hold on...one of the kids needs help with their bike...

I can't imagine being that far away from a store. Home Depot is 2.3-2.9 miles away depending on which way I go. Lately I'll still order parts from them shipped to my house if I can wait 2 days. I'm similar in that I want to fix everything. Trying to get better and farm some things out where I can.

On 4/29/2024 at 3:40 PM, Chestnut said:

1. Time

Can't really have any other frustrations when my shop time is limited. I will say I've gotten really good at completing projects in 20 min time windows. I just don't get many 20 min time windows any more.

How old is your daughter now? Things change so quickly with kids. I used to be able to go down to the shop at night when they were going to bed at 8. Now that's 8:45 and that's hard for me to motivate myself to go down to the shop and get into something besides applying coats of finish. They're more likely to have friends over or go over to a friends house now and that's where I can get a couple of hours in on a weekend.

• Like 2