My First table

Brian VanVreede

Brings back memories. My first furniture project was two bedside tables. Thought I might also do a few shelves and home fix ups. But the long process of making those first tables got me hooked.

I love the design and execution. Very fun.

To my eye the pull is too heavy, or maybe just not in keeping with the delicacy and creativity of the rest of the piece.

Also, the top seems too thin for the large drawer front.

Love the hinged top. Might have to borrow that idea one day. Awesome project and great learning opportunity. Now all you need is more tools, wood and time.

Rock on.

• Like 1

I would avoid making all of my components 3/4", the drawer especially feels very bulky. The Joinery is my other regret with this project. This was completely my design so I really didn't want to over complicate things by adding joints that I have never practiced before, ie mortise and tennon. All in all I'm very happy with the way it came out but I'm just hoping my joints don't fall apart in a year!

• 3 weeks later...

I would avoid making all of my components 3/4", the drawer especially feels very bulky. The Joinery is my other regret with this project. This was completely my design so I really didn't want to over complicate things by adding joints that I have never practiced before, ie mortise and tennon. All in all I'm very happy with the way it came out but I'm just hoping my joints don't fall apart in a year!

What kind of joinery did you go with?

One thing I just noticed brian, it appears you made the drawer box about the same width as the drawer front, so when the drawer is fully closed you can see inside the drawer compartment. Maybe you could've made the box narrower than the front and incorporated stiles to eliminate that? Looks lovely though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The inlay on the tigre maple is beautiful. From my point of view your half way there. Design is sometimes the hardest part.

One thing I would do is consider is your hardware. The hinges are a little prominent when you open the top, which is a very cool feature. Consider making the drawer pull out of one of your two woods. Also I would suggest the drawer pull be in the center of the drawer, where it is now I expect that door to hinge down.

Kudos to you

I think he meant to put stiles on the left and right sides of the drawer , so you cannot see the outside sides of the drawer through the opening, your "drawer box " could be about a 1/2" or so shy of the width of the drawer front, that with the stiles would elimate that gap.

I still think it looks awesome , you did a great job popping the grain and the detail cove on the legs is a nice touch, the inlays ( they are solid all they way so are they inlays or laminations?!?!?) look really good, hope the top doesn't expand enough to cause trouble with them.

I think it would be interesting for you to look back in 2 years or so after you've built 6 others or so and get your own opinions on what you do and dont like and what you would change. i gotta try me some of that tiger maple. Where did you get it from ?