Looking for honest opinions

Wfd55

It looks very nice to me. I say use it!

I made some boxes for my grandchildren for Christmas last year. My boxes are more rustic looking (five boxes out of one large plank) and I use the scrollsaw for the inlay so, I think yours is much neater in looks. I like the darker color on yours because it stands out more but, it is all a matter of opinion.

Boxesfinished001_zpsa646e370.jpg

Rog 

Not really.  One of the issues was that i used epoxy to set the inlay and you could see it around all the edges.  you can't really see it in the pic though.  So i redid that piece and am trying to decide if I should have another go at the inlay. This is the top which i am very happy with.  post-15998-0-37086000-1418944511_thumb.j Also any advice on finish.

Seems like Boatworks does a good bit of finishing over epoxy. Best I can remember he just uses a quality poly or varnish.

The inlay work looks good to me. That kind of work is frustrating because you see every tiny thing. Get an unbiased, unrelated person to take a look, not an in depth study, and see what they think.

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement.  Every project I take on I try to master a new skill.  The mistake I made on the first go was i tried to mix maple saw dust with epoxy so the lines would blend.  The result was a weird colored line around it that was not quite smooth.  When i showed it to my wife she was not impressed. That is why i came here to see what you guys thought whether or not i should give it another go.  I figured the worst case scenario I add it to the scrap pile.  This time I glued the inlay in and will fill any gaps with walnut colored fill  I will post the results soon.

On the compass rose (or whatever that design is called), I like that you have the grain direction running out to the points.  Subtle, but gave added depth to it.  I've had no experience finishing over epoxy: I usually just use a CA finish when I use epoxy as the glue.  On a flat piece, I have no idea how you would get a good finish from CA.

I think they both look fine, though.  

I remember Marc saying he knifed a line (rocking horse) when he wanted a finish to remain in an area... if I remember rightly he was talking about a stain instead of a protective coating, but I'd say you already have that with the inlay.  Whatever you use, I'd go carefully (but not quite slowly) over the inlay area and watch for bleed... but that's about as much worry as I'd pay attention.  (then again, I haven't done any inlay... so take my advice with a grain of salt.)