Is Woodcraft going downhill?

estesbubba

I don't have a local Woodcraft and have never been in one so I don't know what the stores are like. I order from them about once every 2-3 years online because even their sale prices aren't that great in my experience. That said, their recent emails have stuff like exercise equipment and janitorial supplies. Now I'm all for more selection but I'm not looking to ride a stationary bike while using a Domino. 

I wonder if this is a sign they're struggling? You hate to see woodworking stores close, but woodworking isn't a cheap hobby and people are more price-conscious these days. 

I haven't noticed the shift towards that non woodworking stuff, but I don't have a local (3+ hours to the closest) store either. That's weird, exercise equipment is expensive and takes up lots of retail space. Doesn't add up to me. Why not just carry vintage spring pole lathes... (thanks to Shannon for letting me know those exist)

I had a similar concern about this when I saw yard equipment appear on their website.  I asked someone from Woodcraft about it.  It turns out the store in Hawaii is more of a home center store than just a woodworking store.  A lot of this non-woodworking inventory is for that store.  I don't think we will see this stuff appearing in the rest of the stores any time soon.

The Rockler near me was a corporate store (at least, the one I shopped at, anyway.)  When they sold a franchise to a local guy, they had to close the store down.  I've had nothing but problems since then.  So, I've patronized the local Woodcraft.  While I do worry about their ability to stay in business because I worry about places I enjoy going remaining open, their customer service, their friendly nature, their patience, and their classroom projects should keep them open for a while.

Locally, there's not a lot of private retail for their kind of niche, although there are lumber centers and dealers around.  It's more the rest of what they offer that I appreciate.  

I, too, was concerned when I got that email.  But I've never seen that stuff on the floor or shelves while at my local franchise.  I get the impression the franchise owners have the right to not carry some items.  (Kind of like McDonald's: at participating restaurants.)  As for corporate stores, I'd imagine there aren't really that many.  I seem to remember reading once that they only had two or three.... but I could be mistaken.

My experience is just the opposite. We have two Woodcraft in Houston, One is respectable but the other I refuse to go to because of the service (or lack of). Rockler on the other hand is very friendly and has a well stocked store.

I guess Woodcraft thought they would take Lee Valley's lead.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/Index.aspx

The woodcraft by my house is ok at best. I tend to know more about their products then they do. They never have any Festool Rubin paper in stock. Depending on who you talk to makes a big difference on the experience. There's one guy there I wanna test out the saw stop with using his face. (Sounds harsh, but he really gets on my nerves.) The rest are fine and will talk to you about anything and offer any advice or help. They've let me use their shop for a couple of things for small projects.

They never have any Festool Rubin paper in stock. Depending on who you talk to makes a big difference on the experience. 

Woodcraft is the only place left around here that even sells Festool. All the small places have dropped the line and Rockler had some issue with them, well thats the rumor anyways. Look for the guy with the fewest fingers, thats going to be the best one. :)

My Woodcraft has really great guys, but I've stop going there since they became a corporate store.  Not just because they stopped carrying LN, but the 'hot deals' on cheap crap are much more in your face.  Looks very bargain basement to me.  There seems to be little to no emphasis on the more quality gear.

Also, not sure about other locations, but the Atlanta Woodcraft free classes have all become pretty lame.  The last few have been 'upcycling' classes - such as 'Make a Christmas tree out of a Palette'.  Once you looked at the photo on the flyer, anyone could pretty much figure out how they nailed together a palette into a triangle and painted it green....

The Rockler and Highland Woodworking in Atlanta are both nice, but in both locations half the employees are happy to help and take your money, and the other half can't be bothered with you.  I had mentioned before, I called a few older guys at Highland 'a pair of jacka$es' and left the $500 of gear I planned on buying on the counter.  When I finally went back weeks later, it was the 24 year old kid who apologized for their actions on behalf of the store.

It's amazon for me.

The last few have been 'upcycling' classes - such as 'Make a Christmas tree out of a Palette'.  Once you looked at the photo on the flyer, anyone could pretty much figure out how they nailed together a palette into a triangle and painted it green....

Haha my dad and I looked at each other when they had a class on that and said "Who doesn't know how to make a damn triangle, but the better question is, who is actually gonna put that out as a decoration?

• Like 1

same here. I have home depot and orchard. .. not even a Lowes for crying out loud. If I want a decent ts blade I have to order it.

It's funny because all the people with Rockler, Menards, etc in their area all wish they had a Woodcraft or Lowes.

I have a Lowes, Home Depot, Woodcraft all within 5 miles, and I wish I had a Rockler or a Menards.

I am starting to feel lucky reading this. I have Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Rockler and Woodcraft all within 15 miles of my house. I have yet to get to Woodcraft because it is close to the city and traffic tends to suck. All the employees at Rockler are will to help with anything. I am not sure if that is because I am the only young guy in there (28 years old).

Lee Valley carries gardening and cooking gear - although through separate sites. Woodcraft may only be making these product offers on line versus at their franchise retail.

Having looked into purchasing a Woodcraft franchise a few years ago, there is actually Woodcraft brands that as a franchisee you must carry. Options to carry Non Woodcraft products is limited. Funny is I mentioned Woodcraft while in my local Rockler (nothing about my interest in a franchise) and the guy looked at me and commented that a local Woodcraft would give them a "run for the money".

I dropped the interest because comments I received on line were suggesting that Brick and Morter stores were in trouble given the resources on line (Amazon Prime comes to mind). Now if they cut me in on catalog sales being shipped to my protected area, maybe that would have helped.

I'm always amazed, every time I go into my Rockler or Woodcraft, that I'm not the only customer there.  They're both bustling with business most of the time.  The problem is, their business is bustling with coffee breath breathing octogenarians...and they're not gonna be around much longer.  You don't see many young guys in either store...they're ordering their stuff online.

I go to Rockler and Woodcraft when I need something today.  For everything else, it's Amazon or Lee Valley or any of the other dozens of great online vendors.  Brick and mortar is in trouble...it's not just Woodcraft.  They're all grasping at straws.

We had a place out by me called ace hardwood and tools. They were a really cool spot except for one thing, I walked in one day with a tank top on showing my both sleeve tattoo'd arms and the old guys just kept starring at me the whole time. When I asked a question, they brushed me off with the most elementary answer possible. I had shopped there dozens of times usually after work with the ruminants of my suit on and gotten good service but getting judged and treated badly once makes me a non customer for life,