Is Woodcraft going downhill?

estesbubba

My guess is that selling exercise equipment and other items is Woodcraft taking advantage of the selling network that it has set up.  I would assume that it has sufficient data from its online sales to recognize the demographics of its customer base, and has determined what types of items that demographic is also interested in. 

I would also guess that Woodcraft is "selling" these items in name only:  The items are purchased through the Woodcraft network, and Woodcraft gets the money, but it never has any of these items in inventory.   The order to goes to manufacturer, who does all the fulfillment; Woodcraft takes a small commission on the sale, and sends the rest to the manufacturer.   Woodcraft makes a little money, and the manufacturer has access to markets that it would have to spend a lot of money to get into and set up.

It is the concept of taking advantage of your selling "space" to maximize revenue.  It's why they sell chips and pop at the checkout at Lowes and Home Depot.   Cash is King!

• Like 1

I'm pretty fortunate - I pass by 2 Lowes and 2 HD's on the way home from work, which helps with consumable/construction/odds-n-ends.  I have a Woodcraft 45 mins from work and (in the other direction) another Woodcraft 15 mins from home.  

The "work" woodcraft (just moved into a new larger space.  Their cramped quaarters was probably my #1 issue with their store before, as I think it limited their stock and also made it hard to find stuff because it was all crammed in everywhere.  I'm really looking forward to seeing their new place. 

The one near my house just opened last year.  It's a nice modern large well-lit and well organized place.  Good classes, and a good crew of employees.  I see people of all ages and gender there - pretty diverse customer base.

I do not think I'd say that WC overall is going under, but I can easily see where any one store might run into issues, for any one of a number of issues that could affect any retail operation.The "channel conflict" issue between franchise locations and Woodcraft online sales still confuses me - I'd be ticked off if I was a franchise owner whose payments made to WC were being used to bolster their online presence which works to put me out of business - but apparently if a store is run well, it should be pretty solid.

I have a HD and Lowes a couple of miles away, a HF the same distance in another direction, and Woodcraft, Rockler, Peachtree and Highland within an hour drive. The hour drive usually puts me off of going more than I'd like. All four of those have their positives and negatives. Rockler is real easy to stop by on the way home from work, if I have to hit Peachtree (haven't in probably a year) then I might as well hit Woodcraft at the same time. Highland is my favorite store to shop at, but the drive and the attitude sometimes aren't worth it.

In reality, I got to those stores for specific brands or items, otherwise I can get it off of Amazon and save time and gas money.

LOL mine is about 3500 miles.

Terry, My wife has an uncle that lives out in the country and is about 60 miles from the closest Lowes/HD. He's always telling me how fortunate I am to live within minutes of each. He makes a shopping list and when he finally has to go to town for something needed right then, he fills out his list.

I'm guessing that you really have to plan your 3500 mile trips!! Probably not one of those "Honey, I'll be right back" trips?

Terry, My wife has an uncle that lives out in the country and is about 60 miles from the closest Lowes/HD. He's always telling me how fortunate I am to live within minutes of each. He makes a shopping list and when he finally has to go to town for something needed right then, he fills out his list.

I'm guessing that you really have to plan your 3500 mile trips!! Probably not one of those "Honey, I'll be right back" trips?

I think I would find an alternative store a little closer or just use a hammer if I didn't have the right tool!

I'm fortunate that I'm in driving range of several HD's (where I won't go to anymore), Lowes', a Woodcraft, a Rockler I can't find or deal with, a Menards, as well as local lumber yards and construction supply companies.  I'm unfortunate that they all expect me to pay for stuff there, and don't have the gas money or budget to drive there and purchase items.  Oh well...

Anybody wanna buy a kid so I can get more tools?  (j/k)  They don't work but expect to be fed regularly.  (So you know they won't mess with your tools.)

Anybody wanna buy a kid so I can get more tools? (j/k) They don't work but expect to be fed regularly. (So you know they won't mess with your tools.)

nope, I already have two of those models, of course one is 16 months, but does tidy up more than the 14 yo!!! Btw, they will mess with your tools, just not in anyway you'd approve of!

I try to spread my money around to the brick and mortars as much as possible. i try to support berlands house of tools and the woodcraft here. It costs me the extra time and tax money but i definitely would hate to not have those options to shop. I stopped going to rockler all together unless im a desperate fool at the end of my pitiful rope.

It's interesting listening to you Yanks talk about the stores in your areas - Woodcraft, Rockler, Peachtree, Highland, Harbour freight don't exist here in Canada, or if they do it's a very localized presence; I've never seen one of any, and only heard of them since I started frequenting this forum. We do have Home Depot, Home Hardware, Lowes Canada (which does not have a military discount BTW  :angry: ), and Rona if you live in Quebec. Oh, and obviously Lee Valley, but only in 14 cities (13 if you consider Vaughan to be part of Toronto).

TerryMK - Canadian Tire started out as an autoparts store back in 1922 and has since branched into general hardware and home furnishings, so I am not surprised you didn't find anything you were interested in woodworking-wise. I get screws and nails there, that's about it. 

Peachtree Woodworking started out doing booths at woodworking shows. grrripers, micro jig , router bits etc. it grew into online sales and they had a little store in front of the warehouse. Outgrew the warehouse and now there is a big store and a huge warehouse. Jet, Freud, Bosch and a lot of asian made house branded accessories too.

Store is 8 minutes from my house and easy to swing by on the way to my shop. Feel free to ask me questions if you are considering something they offer, I've probably had my hands on it.

Well maybe if you Canucks would get a little more involved in policing the world, your vets would get a little more appreciation thrown at them! :D  (Possibly a regrettable joke, but I am kidding of course...and I'm not famous for being discreet. :) )

I would trade every Peachtree, Rockler and Woodcraft in the USA if I had a Lee Valley in St. Louis.

Trust me, there is a downside to being walking distance from a Lee Valley.

• Like 1