The Psychedelic Mallet

Eric.

LOL

I didn't intend for it to be psychedelic...the cocobolo is crazy and that katalox head should be nearly black...it was when I started.  Whatever.  It is what it is.  Possibly the ugliest thing I've ever made. :D

It's heavy though, and it'll whack stuff good 'nuff.

DSC_0049_1.jpg

• Like 1

No, not expecting anyone.  But if I'm totally honest it would be kind of fun to thump someone with it one day.

I don't know why it looks so short and fat in the picture.  Must have been the cropping.  It's longer in person.  That's what she said.

• Like 2

Hey Eric, not bad for a newb. :lol:

Confucius say, grasshopper who move mountain start by carrying small stone. :)

That's one nice bludgeon!
 I'll bet it has some serious heft with the Katalox head...and the Coco is over-the-top beautiful.

I have a stick of Katalox that has a distinctly maroon color. Ultramaroon as Bugs Bunny would say. :)

Yeah Dave, most of the katalox I've seen and worked with has all been a deep purplish black.  The blank I used for the head was almost as black as ebony...but when I cut into it...that hideous pale purple.  Doesn't matter, I was just playing around today.  I guess it'll darken back up anyway.

I guess it'll darken back up anyway.

With my limited experience, I would say the color will change/darken significantly. A change along the lines of what you can expect with Padauk, but different. 

When I test a finish on burgundy/maroon colored Katalox it turns a darker hue; almost brown really. I can see it turning even darker with time...which is alright if you like that color of brown. I personally do, but I can see where the drastic change could be startling.

What did you use for the finish? ...some exotic turner's oil?

Turners always think up the greatest finishes. I hear that frictioning on some Panda earwax is the latest rave. ;)

Katalox in the back of this photo (front to back: Lacewood, Bocote, Marblewood, Katalox).
 Hard as nails.

http://IMG_1076_zps4w2gghdv.jpg

There is quite a bit of variation in the color from board to board-tree to tree (I think).

Thanks guys.  I was being a bit sarcastic when I said it was the ugliest thing I'd ever built...I just wasn't pleased with the color that piece of katalox turned out.  I'm sure it will darken and who cares anyway...it's gonna get beat to hell.

Looks similar to the profile of the Blue Spruce mallets.

Not a coincidence...I had a picture of a BS mallet on the computer screen while I turned this one.  100% ripped off. :D

What did you use for the finish? ...some exotic turner's oil?

Turners always think up the greatest finishes. I hear that frictioning on some Panda earwax is the latest rave. ;)

That's just Renaissance Wax.  No endangered species were harmed in the making of this mallet.

How do you guys like using a cylindrical mallet vs. a flat faced one? I always end up whacking my wrist when the rounded mallet ricochets off the rounded chisel handle.

I don't do much heavy mortising.  I never do them entirely by hand, and my mortise chisels are used only to clean up the round ends of router mortises and other lighter-duty tasks that require a bit more heft than bench chisels.

I have a joiner's mallet that I usually use with my mortise chisels, but I find it overkill and a waste of energy.  It's great for pounding holdfasts down but I just don't need that much ass behind a chisel blow.  If you need to pound that hard that's what she said you probably need to sharpen.  This one will fill the gap between my joiner's mallet and my little brass mallet I use with my Japanese bench chisels.  My mortise chisels have all wood handles so I never wanted to use the brass mallet on them.

Edited by Eric.