Maggie's Dresser - Stairs

Mick S

This is my dog, Maggie. She’s an 8 year old Husky - Eurasier mix, 70 lbs. and attached to me like Velcro.

Maggs_567.thumb.jpg.791dcede265893fb0b0e

We have a tall King size bed that she’s never been discouraged from jumping up on, but as she gets older, she’s been wincing and occasionally yelping when she jumps down. So, this build is to accomplish two things - more drawers for Alison and stairs for Maggie. It will go at the foot of our bed, with Maggie’s bed sitting on top of the dresser so that she can climb up and step over the footboard onto our bed and back down.

The dresser part will have two doors on the front covering two columns of 4 drawers, 14” deep and 18” wide. On the left side view, there will be two doors (one false) with another bank of drawers that pull out running perpendicular to, but behind the front drawers. On the right side there will also be two doors (one false). Instead of drawers, there will be a set of stairs that pull out for Maggie to climb up.

I’ll be using 8/4, 6/4, 5/4 and 4/4 cherry, 4/4 poplar for the dust frame and drawers and ambrosia maple for the drawer fronts.

Cherry delivered for this project and the next - a bookcase for the living room.
IMG_0408.thumb.jpg.87a2cbf5927b89dfcbb7c
Stickered for acclimation
IMG_0409.thumb.jpg.8369c219e0f05b674f0ec
First cuts
IMG_0457.thumb.jpg.76cd881cf5131cdd161c6
Settling in for the night
IMG_0461.thumb.jpg.59d99541f21b6cee31d7e

Domino cuts on stretchers

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.579ffeb91aaf0af5b866e

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0490.thumb.jpg.1033e1a0ee9eb63649cdc

This is my first non-shop related build in the new shop! 

Edited by micks
  • Like 1

My wife would take issue with that comment! 

Yeah, I love the French doors, too. Lots of light. There are 3 sets of 6'0" doors across the south wall. Long term, I'm planning to leave the ones behind my bench and put in a 1/2 wall with windows above where the other two sets are so I have more wall space for sanders, lathe, etc.

Micks your shop looks awesome! Really nice space loaded with awesome tools. Your dog is very cute. How big is your shop?

Thanks, Shane. The shop is just under 600 sf, but there's also a garage adjacent to it. I will be walling off a 8 x 12 area at the back to use for my dust collector and storage with a door coming in from the shop. Right now there's a huge armoire in the way that I can't even budge, so until I get some people out here to haul it down to the consignment store, dust collection is a CT26 with Dust Deputy. It's a work in progress - we moved here mid-January.

Cool project and good looking dog! 

I think we all want a post in The Shop with more pictures of your awesome looking shop! The view out the window of the last pic is just incredible! 

Thanks, Mike. I can't tell you how much time I've spent looking out of that window. I intentionally put my bench on the opposite side of the shop so i could get something done. I'll try to get some shop photos to post, soon. My brother & SIL are coming in for the weekend, so I have a few "projects" on my plate before they get here.

Terry - with this being a new (to me) shop, I had lots to do to get it ready for my non-shop projects.  Ran a few new outlets and all new lights. Jigs & fixtures for the new Sawstop, etc. I also built a new workbench - guess I'll post a few pix in another thread - no, it's not a Roubo, as your eyes glaze over... 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to tell myself that the view out the windows is all photoshopped... Please don't burst my bubble!

Sorry to burst it, Colin. The view from that window is of the southern tip of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range in northern NM.

Here are a few more pix of my progress.  The ambrosia maple is for the drawer fronts.

MD_6.thumb.jpg.34bb3bee4edc6ca480cc9f6b9

MD_7.thumb.jpg.f27cb160368b29563ef5ca2d1

MD_8.thumb.jpg.7f000d55a6ca7f069716830dc

MD_9.thumb.jpg.7b27910421ca03e0dd12963db

MD_10.thumb.jpg.fbb4cfdbddfdf3634ab32480

My only camera is my iPhone, so getting the light balanced pointed at the window is tricky. Not photoshopped, just a little slice of heaven on Earth.

Edited by micks
  • Like 2

I too have a similar project coming up, my dog and I are watching this build.  What a fabulous shop and view!  Part of my miss spent youth was on a ranch in Roswell.  It is wonderful country, but I have to tell ya, I prefer the mild NW winters.

Thanks, Bob. What was the ranch, I may know them? Yeah, I love the light out here. Winters here don't bother me at all. Maggie """LOVES""" the snow. Having spent the past 35 years in Dallas and Charlotte with HEAT and humidity, I'll take the 85 degrees today and low humidity here any day. Roswell is considerably warmer in the summer. I'll post a drawing of how this will go together for you.

Looking good Mick. How much land are you sitting on?

We're in a semi rural area, mostly horse lovers. We have a little over 4 acres - most of it in the direction of the above view, so we'll never have anyone build in front of us.

• Like 1

I too have a similar project coming up, my dog and I are watching this build.  What a fabulous shop and view!  Part of my miss spent youth was on a ranch in Roswell.  It is wonderful country, but I have to tell ya, I prefer the mild NW winters.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-04_at_8.41.19_PM.thu

Bob, here's an overhead view of the dresser/stairs. The top of the drawing will sit at the foot of our bed. Top left is a column of 4 drawers. Top right is the roll out stairs for Maggie. There will be 4 steps going up to the top deck where her bed will be. The front (bottom of drawing) will have one full width drawer on top and 2 columns of 3 drawers right and left below. There will be doors in front of each set of drawers and the stairs.

Micks, thanks for the drawing, I am looking forward to the end product.  As far as the ranch goes it belonged to Punch and Suzanne Jones.  Parents sent me there for a couple of summers to work and maybe get some culture learning how to ride English and jump, I was 10.  All I remember is English riding has silly saddles, hats and boots and the ranch had some really big  tarantulas!  I enjoyed the riding but I will take western riding over English any day.

I'm not used to journaling my projects, so I tend to forget about updating. Here are a few pics of my progress through today.

Assembling the frames with Dominos. Sure love the auto-adjust Kreg clamps!

IMG_0643.thumb.jpg.da9f2d6716f92ac18d351

Leveling the drawer runners

IMG_0660.thumb.jpg.7ed2fc8e9d024ecf5b077

Dry fitting the framework

IMG_0669.thumb.jpg.d1fe1455e1bfc71532885

Smoothing the back panels

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.057d01d6587fa0ccfce82

Again, dry assembled

IMG_0717.thumb.jpg.25299a327fb18d9f5cbcd

Prototype of the doors with a big nod to FWW's Mike Pekovich

IMG_0729.thumb.jpg.9abe370d3487d3f9c3640

The cherry panel is mock-sandblasted using a wire wheel on a drill. I'm doing some testing on finishes for the panels, but any and all input would be greatly appreciated, given the texture!

IMG_0730.thumb.jpg.7c4a15d5b282c9ef4082e

Finally feel like I'm making progress!

• Like 1

Wire brushed will soak up stains and finishes like a sponge. I found that running over the surface lightly with about 120 or 150 after the wire brush improves the look in my opinion. 

Make extra pieces treated the same way, scraps etc. test your finishing on those.

Great looking project so far !