Maggie's Dresser - Stairs

Mick S

Wire brushed will soak up stains and finishes like a sponge. I found that running over the surface lightly with about 120 or 150 after the wire brush improves the look in my opinion. 

Make extra pieces treated the same way, scraps etc. test your finishing on those.

Great looking project so far !

In between glueing up the rest of the door panels, etc., I tested 4 options, after lightly hitting the surface with 180:

1. Shellac - 3 lb, clear

2. Danish oil - natural

3. Danish oil & Arm R Seal - Satin

4. Arm R Seal - Satin

Honestly, it's very hard to tell the difference in any of them, but I'm leaning toward just the Arm R Seal. The shellac had just a hint of sheen, but only on the high spots making it look a little artificial. Same with the DO/AS. DO by itself looked a little blotchy and flat. Since I'll probably be using Arm R Seal on the rest, I think it makes sense to just stick with the one.

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress. Got the doors assembled and the frame glued up. Still have to install the bead moulding between the lower rails and the bottoms of the doors, then on to the 13 drawers, the top and the stairs.

IMG_0831.thumb.jpg.e752e6e8f1aefa17ffb5cIMG_0830.thumb.jpg.be5bfa627ac832a9839ea

IMG_0833.thumb.jpg.8effe1a0f601bcdc755fc

Edited by micks
  • Like 1

Nice! I really like that panel design.

Thanks! I think I'll be happy with them when it's finished. It's a little hard for me to look at them without my blood pressure rising. 

The vertical dividers are about 1/8" x 5/8" and are beveled and dadoed into the panels. I went to great lengths to find, layout, mill, etc. just the right two bookmatched panels for the front doors. I cut test pieces to get the look just the way I wanted it with the offsets and spacing.

We were having our house painted and the night before I cut these, the painter asked me if I could help him build a ladder with a hook on one end to hang over the ridgeline of the house since his ladders wouldn't reach. I told him to get the materials and we could do it the next morning.

Next morning I get everything set up. Dust collector, check. Double and triple check saw settings, check. Test cuts, check. Hearing protection, check. I cut the front door dadoes last to make sure everything is just right. So I'm cutting the right front panel, the last dado and the painter walks in the door behind me and calls out, "Mick!". 

It was just a little wiggle, maybe 1/8" x 2".

I suppose I was lucky:

1. I didn't get hurt.

2. The painter didn't press charges.

I did my best to repair the damage, but in the end, I had to reverse the panel and put the repair on the inside. Each panel is bookmatched, but the two panels are series matched, rather than bookmatched.

Mac, coffee, and fine shavings. What else do you need?

Looking good!

Maybe a little Jimmy LaFave singing in the background!

Edited by micks

So any storage in or above where the stairs slide in and out ? Could be a great hiding place. 

We think alike. My original intention was to put the stairs on slides, but why? They'll always be there. So now I'm going to have the top hinged with a hidden latch and use that space for whatever Alison wants to put in there.

That could have been bad.I don't like having my back to the door..Glad you still have fingers..Very nice work Micks.

Yep, I was lucky. There is a door off the breezeway that I use to come and go. On the other side there are 3 French doors opening onto a little courtyard that you have to squeeze between trees and shrubs to get into. That's how he came in behind me.

Looking great mick! How did you react when the guy yelled at you? I would have been pretty pissed. Its weird how some people don't understand the most basic safety principles. Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

I was pissed, livid, actually. I made him stand there and watch the Sawstop wiener video. It took all the maturity I could muster not to leave a few screws loose in the ladder.

He did. He felt bad. He's a nice guy, just not used to being around a wood shop.

This happened to me once too.  I was doing some raised panels for cabinet doors.  It was a painted piece so the raised panels were MDF.  My buddy came to visit unannounced (which is fine, we are close friends and do frequent pop ins) and banged on the window of my shop to get my attention.  It startled me and I mangled the workpiece.  It was only MDF, but it was my last piece and it necessitated going out and buying a whole new sheet of 5/8" MDF.  I read him the riot act. Like you said sometimes people just don't think it through because they're not used to being around a shop.

Oh, and the project looks great :) 

• 1 month later...

Micks, that's terrific!  I love the dark piece below the cabinet doors - adds so much.  I can't tell from the photos - is that hardware or a contrasting wood?

Thanks, Matt. The bead strip is ebonized cherry. I felt like it needed a little visual weight near the base.