It's here....

rodger.

Maybe he tried picking up the jointer by himself and it fell on top of him. Someone should go check on him, i think he is lying on the concrete with a jointer on his chest.

He was picking it up over and over for exercise...that way jointer flatten wood AND your abs!

AFAIK two guys are needed to assemble a jointer, He's probably waiting for help.... Shane? C'mon it's only 700 or so miles away from you.

I was able to assemble my PM 6" on my own, but it is not advisable.  I built a "step ladder" or sorts so I could incrementally lift the bed to the desired height.  

Hey fellas, sorry for the long delay, but the day after I took possession of the jointer I was off to PA for a few days with the family.  Then it was my daughters 4th birthday the day after we got back, so i was busy planning and hosting a kids party.

Anyways, finally got the jointer out of the box!

2_base_in_box.thumb.jpg.10351096f9e49fd43_bed_in_box.thumb.jpg.3d7271949b7a5acf0

It was well packaged, and had a decent coat of slime on it to protect the cast iron from rust.

I placed the base in a decent spot, and realized that the company I bought it from must have removed the base from the box as they placed a company sticker on it.  This will be removed shortly.

4_base_in_shop.thumb.jpg.7c4592d0f0b20fc

The I had a friend (he is a gorilla) help me lift the jointer onto the base.  I should have asked another friend to help as well, the thing was HEAVY.

5 bed mounted.jpg

Then I put the pork chop guard on, installed the belt and cover, screwed the dust chute on, and I was ready to go!

6_ready_to_go.thumb.jpg.50118137c04af189

I will do a review on this machine in week or so, after I have a few projects under my belt with it.  Here are some general observations so far:

-Machine was well packaged and included all tools necessary to assemble (screw drivers, wrenches, etc).

-Cutter head is a byrd, and they included 6 spare cutters and two Torx screwdrivers for install (same driver, so one is a spare i guess)

-Lots of rigid parts, thing is heavy (no vibration when running)

-Unit is quieter than my previous 3 blade jointer

-DC is good, but not great.  I will replace the 4" port with a 5" port and this should help a lot.  The shavings this machine creates are "fluffier" than my last jointer (prob due to the shelix), so the DC is handling them differently.

-almost 0 tearout on maple fed the wrong direction along the machine on face and edge

-no setup required - machine was perfectly tuned out of the box (with the exception of lowering the infeed table to take a deeper cut than the 1/64" it was set to).

Edited by franklin pug
  • Like 1

That is one sweet jointer Pug. I look forward to hearing what your thought are after you get some good use out of it.

I looked at the 8" parallelogram model as well, but it's MASSIVE.  No way I coulda got the 8 incher into my shop.  That is the only jointer other than this one that was on my "new jointer" list.  I think that's the model you have, correct?

I looked at the 8" parallelogram model as well, but it's MASSIVE.  No way I coulda got the 8 incher into my shop.  That is the only jointer other than this one that was on my "new jointer" list.  I think that's the model you have, correct?

Ya i have the PJ-882. I absolutely love it, its a monster.

• Like 1