Pre-made shop storage?

bglenden

Hi -

I've gotten the shop (which is a two car garage, which cars do not go into) cleaned up recently (so I could get more circuits put in). To prevent chaos from recurring, I need some shop storage (cabinets etc). While I could make them myself, I'm not really excited about spending a lot of time making shop furniture. Does anyone have any pointers to pre-made shop storage they like? I'm looking for medium quality (it's a shop! don't want it to fall apart!). 

Cheers,
Brian

For ground level stuff by tool chests, so that you can move them around if need be.  As you buy and sell tools, and work on different projects, you will find your storage needs change a lot. For stuff high up, I recommend cheap shelving, its cheap, quick to install and in some cases stronger than a lot of the pre-made casework these days.

Do you have a habitat for humanity re store where you are?  They sometimes have some decent used cabinets.

OTOH, I actually prefer open shelves for most stuff and plastic tubs where they make more sense.

On the building vs buying decision...  Buying is probably the way to go unless you just want to make your own.  You probably would wind up spending more to build than to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you thinking storage shelves or cabinets? I have seen and felt the loews unfinished cabinets and like them.  I plan on using them unless i find a cheap tear out set.

I currently have steel shelving from hd.6x6x2d. I like them as I can store a lot of stuff on there. The issue is you have to look at all of it and everything gets covered in dust. 

I have three Gladiators on one wall of my shop.  I think they look cool and they break the monotony of an otherwise completely wood-filled space.  They are what I would call "medium" quality.  Keep your eye out for sales in the next week or two...I believe I got mine for a hundo each.  They have various sizes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-Ready-to-Assemble-28-in-H-x-28-in-W-x-12-in-D-Steel-Garage-Wall-Cabinet-in-Silver-Tread-GAWG28FDYG/204238920

Gladiator Ready to Assemble 28 in. H x 28 in. W x 12 in. D Steel Garage Wall Cabinet in Silver Tread

I have three Gladiators on one wall of my shop.  I think they look cool and they break the monotony of an otherwise completely wood-filled space.  They are what I would call "medium" quality.  Keep your eye out for sales in the next week or two...I believe I got mine for a hundo each.  They have various sizes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-Ready-to-Assemble-28-in-H-x-28-in-W-x-12-in-D-Steel-Garage-Wall-Cabinet-in-Silver-Tread-GAWG28FDYG/204238920

Gladiator Ready to Assemble 28 in. H x 28 in. W x 12 in. D Steel Garage Wall Cabinet in Silver Tread

+1. I have one gladiator. I second everything Eric said. 

Menards.  If there is one near you they have a good selection of shelf solutions.  More so than I have seen at my Home Depot.  

Currently they have a 12" deep wire rack four shelf unit on sale for ~$50.  They also sell a 4" caster set for these shelves for ~$15, so for $65 I got a mobile shelving unit.  They also have a taller 18" deep unit that takes the same casters.  They have other solutions, as well, including steel & plastic free standing units and wood and steel units that mount to your walls.  

I also prefer open storage in bins to enclosed spaces as I don't seem to remember where I put things.  

Yeah I shoulda built something and I have a plan to do so soon (like clamps there is never enough storage), but this was an easy fast solution.  Counting the trip to the store I had the thing bought, built and stuff on the shelves in 2 hours.