Outfeed/Assembly Table

sheperd80

54bbb8a36d70394770762490fa486b8f.jpg

I realized I havent really shared a project since I joined this forum. So heres my latest endeavor. My shop is a garage/laundry room so i have some serious space constraints, so i have to settle for a multi-functional table. Its less than ideal to use an outfeed table as an assembly and tool cabinet, but it will serve me well until I get into a real shop. I only had a day and a half to get this done so i went into overdrive/carpenter-mode and tried to ignore the furniture builder in my head. Made almost entirely from scraps except one discount sheet of red oak ply, and the mdf.

Got home from our anniversary trip sunday afternoon and dove right in. The front "half" will house 2 drawers for hand tools and storage area beneath for tablesaw accessories. My "workbench" is directly across from this unit so the tool storage will be quite useful and hopefully help keep the rust away!

Rabbeted and dadoed everything together. Yes thats 3 different types of plywood. :-)

6ab42bc55591a9635a9f9ca4c2745078.jpg

I dont have room for an island type construction with full cabs on the back, but its adjacent to my proposed TS extension router table so i wanted the space to be useful for that. So instead of a back panel, i put a partition that left me 6" of space which i'll fill with shelves later.

9d4921140d26407bdf0be8de42f950c9.jpg

The purple paint is home depots 70% off label :-/ jerks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That is coming out great, should serve you well.  When I had a masonite top I just kept it waxed with Johnson paste wax.  Everything moved across it nicely and glue drips didn't stick to it.

I was thinking the same thing. To avoid masking anything, ill probly throw some near-expiry finish of some sort on everything, then wax the top.

That is looking real good. I actually started on an assembly table today. Trying to sneak it in before I start on our platform bed.

I feel ya. I always try to do a shop project between furniture projects :-) I find it to be a nice release and keeps the shop evolving. Its nice to let loose and do some fast and dirty building and not have to be as methodical. In this case ive got a big buffet cabinet project starting soon so it was necessary to build this. I know some folks have museum grade shop furniture but for me it just has to look half respectable and serve its purpose. :-)

Thanks for all the replies!

That's a good looking table. I want to build one, mine is not so flat. 

The torsion box came out pretty flat on its own, i highly recommend doing it if youre gonna build a table. I didnt get too crazy about it, i actually just built it on top of the cabinet base. Im not going after it with the feeler gauges or anything but it looks pretty good under a straight edge.

The torsion box came out pretty flat on its own, i highly recommend doing it if youre gonna build a table. I didnt get too crazy about it, i actually just built it on top of the cabinet base. Im not going after it with the feeler gauges or anything but it looks pretty good under a straight edge.

Just a word of advice. I built a torsion box assembly table and it was dead flat, now it sags an 1/8" in the middle! Found out the hard way they do not like being supported at just the corners on legs. This cabinet base will be great, wish I had done this on mine! Looks good, nice work!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The torsion box came out pretty flat on its own, i highly recommend doing it if youre gonna build a table. I didnt get too crazy about it, i actually just built it on top of the cabinet base. Im not going after it with the feeler gauges or anything but it looks pretty good under a straight edge. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just a word of advice. I built a torsion box assembly table and it was dead flat, now it sags an 1/8" in the middle! Found out the hard way they do not like being supported at just the corners on legs. This cabinet base will be great, wish I had done this on mine! Looks good, nice work!

I forgot to show a pic of this, but there are also 4 rows of 3" inch strips as a sub top to support the torsion box. I wasnt sure it was necessary but sounds like it was a good idea. Thx for the input!

How thick is your torsion box top? Didn't know if you used 2" or 3" strips giving a total of 3" or 4" thick.

2" strips for a total thickness of 3-1/8" including the masonite skin. I didnt want it to be so thick that it interfered with accessing the drawers, or using smaller clamps like the Kreg Automax.

The torsion box came out pretty flat on its own, i highly recommend doing it if youre gonna build a table. I didnt get too crazy about it, i actually just built it on top of the cabinet base. Im not going after it with the feeler gauges or anything but it looks pretty good under a straight edge. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TapatalkJust a word of advice. I built a torsion box assembly table and it was dead flat, now it sags an 1/8" in the middle! Found out the hard way they do not like being supported at just the corners on legs. This cabinet base will be great, wish I had done this on mine! Looks good, nice work!

Thanks, I forgot to show a pic of this, but there are also 4 rows of 3" inch strips as a sub top to support the torsion box. I wasnt sure it was necessary but sounds like it was a good idea. Thx for the input!

How thick is your torsion box top? Didn't know if you used 2" or 3" strips giving a total of 3" or 4" thick.

I made mine 6" thick! And it still warped. I was really surprised, it did take several years though, with crap sitting on top of it a lot.

I had an old can of oil varnish blend laying around so i wiped the whole cabinet down inside and out with one heavy coat, then waxed the top. Im working on a router table now so this is just fill-in between glue-ups for that project.

Still planning to add adjustble shelves to the back, and at least one removable tray for router bits that i can pull off and stare at while agonizing over the age-old dilemma "1/8 roundover or 1/8 chamfer?!?! My god does it ever get easier?!?!?" 0ba0a666998313ac9f0ce1dbd4d47a2c.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks its already proved a great addition to the shop. Only problem im having is that the masonite skin keeps bubbling up because the brad nails get so little hold on it. I tried to iron it out in one direction while nailing, and set the gun so it barely buries the heads but it still keeps popping up. I wanted it to be removable later because i know ill destroy it, but now im considering gluing it down. I suppose screws could help some but id have to do a pretty absurd schedule to get any bubbles out.

My other idea was a more temporary glue, like silicone or caulking but i cant imagine getting that very flat. Or spray adhesive, but that may destroy the mdf below when removing it.

Any thoughts?