Yard sale find -- Stanley #7

collinb

Pretty rough.

I sanded down the sole and there is still a lot of pitting left. Blade (maybe original) edge is in relatively good shape. Much better than the rest of it. Tote top broken off. Still loking to determine the age. Not bad for $20.

plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

plane4.jpg

plane5.jpg

Tote's are easy to replace... Looks like it would be pretty easy to clean up and make it a working tool, or are you planning to sell it?    $20, a little time and effort and you have a $50 plane.   The age doesn't matter if you're going to use it.  That stuff is for those that plan to sell.  I took a Fulton #7 in worse condition and turned it into a working plane.  Give it a try.  And you won't need twine!

102_1197.JPG

102_1281.JPG

39 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

If it was me, I woulda saved the $20 and put it into the SAWSTOP fund....................just saying.

But I'm a bit of a capitalist. This either saves money by postponing the purchase of a electric jointer or increases available funds by selling for profit, which can then be used for an easier-to-fund saw upgrade.

Or I can use the profit to purchase more twine.  ;-)

• Like 2

Lee Valley has PDFs with plans for making your own Stanley plane totes.  Here's the one for "#5 and up":

https://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010k.pdf

I did this recently when my #5 decided to leap off the bench.  It was a fun couple of hours build and the resulting tote is great.  I think @Tom Cancelleri has done this using their plans as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sjk said:

Lee Valley has PDFs with plans for making your own Stanley plane totes.  Here's the one for "#5 and up":

https://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010k.pdf

I did this recently when my #5 decided to leap off the bench.  It was a fun couple of hours build and the resulting tote is great.  I think @Tom Cancelleri has done this using their plans as well.

I have done it. Came out great, and it makes it pretty easy. You need a bandsaw roundover bit, maybe a rasp to custom shape it to your hand. Lastly, you're gonna need a drill press to make those holes in the right spots, unless you're really wicked with a hand drill.

Evaporust + Homer bucket from home depot, and you're golden. (Take off all the wood, and disassemble before the evaporust bath)

Heads up, 1 gallon of evaporust is around 22 bucks. It can be reused over and over, you can also run the evaporust through coffee filters suspended by twine to filter out all the crap that comes off.