Shed Build

I have been looking online for some inspiration as I am starting the process of building a shed on my property.

(I have obtained the tacit blessing of the HOA and the city.)

I don't want to build something completely drab or drag a pre-fabricated shell home from the local big box store.  I'd like something with some style (see picture).  I'm fairly decent at woodworking but I have never built a building before.  I have seen it done on TV and I'm fairly confident that I can pull it off.  Looking at the picture, it appears as though the left side of the building is taller than the right side.  How would you accomplish this?  Frame one side higher than the other and tie the two together with a top plate that slants between the two?  Or is it just deceiving to the eye and all of the walls are the same height?  Perhaps the difference comes from the odd slope of the roof?

Please share your thoughts!  I'm starting this build in the next month, in June/July, in the Texas heat - God help me!

CdEZ983VAAANRSM.jpg

Also, suggest sites with detailed plans of funky/different designs.  I'd like to stick with a painted Hardi-board exterior, using multiple colors and design elements to dress it up.  Yes, I love the all cedar sheds too.  But I don't want to spend the time to stain it every year.

I'm gonna disagree with Mike and say the whole reason that structure looks cool is because the roof has an offset ridge. The A for the porch overhang mimicks it, giving it even more plausability.

It's really nothing more than 2 different roof pitches. The dormer balances the construction. It apears the dormer roof is of the same pitch as the opposite roof, and without it would look odd.

Janello: Yes, there appears to be 2 pitches, with the dormer balancing the two.  But are the left and right walls of different height?  I think that they are. 

Woodbutcher74: My garage is too small to store my tools and cars.  So I am building this structure to move as much as I can from the garage to the shed.  The shed will be 120 square feet and will hold all lawn tools, children's toys, bicycles and scooters, all lumber storage and all dead storage that currently happens in the garage.  Every bit of usable garage space will be devoted to the wood shop and cars.  We live in an area that is prone to severe hail storms and got hit twice this spring, though not as badly as some neighboring communities.

The bay window hides the wall roof intersection on the viewer's right. My guess is the walls are the same height and the center line of the main roof has been offset to the viewer's right giving the illusion of different height walls. Different height walls would be hard to plan and hard to build especially for an out building.....

Plus the photo is taken on an angle adding to the illusion......

I like the effect of the 2 different roof slopes and mimicking those slopes on your shed would provide a visual link between the 2.   I would make it easy on yourself and build the walls of the shed all the same height even if the house has different wall heights.  It's the roof slope that catches the eye.

Rex Edgar: Interesting observation - I did not notice that and I see what you mean.  Thank you for your insight.

Ronn W: Agreed - I'm going to build the walls the same height.  I think that I'm going to do some math and figure out what kind of angles will work best for this build.  Maybe build a small scale mock up.

Photo's can be tricky, but I'm quite certain the walls are of differing height. Follow the top of the window across with a strait edge, it's not even close.

I think if you make the walls the same height, you again kill the look and now it just looks like a drunk cut your rafters.

18 minutes ago, Tom King said:

The only two roof slopes the same are on the left, and opposing walls are different heights.

I think it looks fine, but I have no use for a shed dormer.

I was thinking the same about the usefulness of the dormer. Although a french dormer with cathedral ceiling would add a lot of natural light in there.

11 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Shed dormers are way too much extra work to build to start with for any gain, and then a Major PIA to repaint the sides, or reroof the little roof part beside them.

I won't disagree, because you certainly have way more experience than I. But to me, that isn't what I would call a shed. My shed has a weedwacker and old paint cans in it. That looks like a killer man cave, pool house or place to serve food in the summer.

I won't disagree, because you certainly have way more experience than I. But to me, that isn't what I would call a shed. My shed has a weedwacker and old paint cans in it. That looks like a killer man cave, pool house or place to serve food in the summer.

I think he's referring to the dormer not the building. A shed roof is a roof with one slope.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That example has lots of cool details, but to me, it looks like something that the dog threw up after a roadkill feast. It's like they tried to cram as many details & features as possible into that little shed. Every time I look at the image, I dislike it more.

You can build something that is far easier to do & looks much better.

I think the asymmetry combined with the round elements is what creates the appeal. You could easily skip the shed dormer without changing the look much. The bay window could be replaced with a smaller window and flower box too. Nice looking shed for garden tools doesn't need as much detail as a kids playhouse or man cave.

I agree with all of you: this shed could be smaller, simpler and less ornate.  I could also paint it all one color, leave out the windows and not wire it for electricity.  A lot of the things that I do could be made simpler.  I enjoy doing things a little differently - having something that nobody else has - building things that people look at and say "wow, you built that?".  That's part of the fun.

But I get it - the design isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's totally fine - I respect that.  That said - what would you choose? 

Requirements

• 120 square feet or less
  • Capable of horizontal storage of 12 foot sticks of lumber
  • Utility sink fed by the hose and draining into a French drain
  • Hardi-board painted siding for low maintenance and durability
  • Pier and beam foundation

Show me some ideas!

11.30%20AM%20June%204th%20IMG_0361_zpspr

This is a pre fab shed but, it is 10' x 12' (120 sq. ft.) with head room to stand up in. Lumber storage is over head and the floor holds a riding mower, push mower, snow blower. 3' x 4' work bench saw horses, garden tools of all types, etc., etc. .I paid around $3000.00 including installation for it in 2009.

I'm sure you could build something similar for less money.

An asymmetrical roof like that is typical of a saltbox style house. Tbe style is common in the Northeast. I like the overall look, but I am not thrilled with the entry echoing the roof line. I would straighten the porch roof but might keep the rest of the design.