Shopping for Dust Collection

Shaun Guthrie

We are going to be moving into a new house in about a month and was able to get an oversized double garage available for my workspace.  I basically have a greenfield to do whatever I want and before setting up the equipment from my last place, I want to ensure dust collection is put in place to avoid what happened in our old garage, dust everywhere.  Been looking around and keep coming back to the Grizzly Cyclone Dust Collection.  First, anyone have any good recommendations for dust collection for a garage and some tips in what I should be looking for?  Secondly, does anyone have a Grizzly Cyclone system and are you happy with it? 

I'll also be looking to pick up some air filtration to hang from the roof as well.

Looking for some feedback.  Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Ultimately, it depends on your budget.  I recently upgraded from a Grizz (not cyclone) system to a Clearview system with Nordfab ducting which is the polar opposite on the budget.  

I've also heard people say good things about the Harbor Freight one and I think there's a cyclone mod for it on YouTube..

16 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Ultimately, it depends on your budget.  I recently upgraded from a Grizz (not cyclone) system to a Clearview system with Nordfab ducting which is the polar opposite on the budget.  

I've also heard people say good things about the Harbor Freight one and I think there's a cyclone mod for it on YouTube..

Thanks for that.  Budget is somewhat flexible as we will be in this place for a long time.  The Cyclone appeals to me so you can easily separate the big stuff from the dust.

1 minute ago, Shaun Guthrie said:

Thanks for that.  Budget is somewhat flexible as we will be in this place for a long time.  The Cyclone appeals to me so you can easily separate the big stuff from the dust.

Go take a look at Clearview.  Mine hasn't been in very long yet but, so far, no regrets..

5 minutes ago, Ryan Grondin said:

Is your dust collector going to be inside the garage or are you going to build something to put it in?

I'm fortunate in that my "garage" is attached to my shop so, the DC lives in the garage where I park the cars.  If you look at the thread I did on the install, I left some pictures in there of where it's set up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TIODS said:

I'm fortunate in that my "garage" is attached to my shop so, the DC lives in the garage where I park the cars.  If you look at the thread I did on the install, I left some pictures in there of where it's set up.

Me, too.  Garage is attached and I'm slowly but surely moving DC, supply items, etc into it. Frees up considerable space.

• Like 1

I just finished (almost) setting up an Oneida V-3000 cyclone in my shop.  I'm pretty impressed so far.  It almost sucked my entire arm into it when I first fired it up with no ducting attached.  I ripped a few strips of plywood on the TS to test it out and there wasn't even a speck of dust.  It's also surprisingly quiet for how powerful it is (my old HF dust collector was louder).  My only complaint about it so far is that the instruction manual was garbage, so it took a little longer putting together than I would have liked.    

I have a 3.5HP  Penn State that I am satisfied with. I will probably catch flack for saying this, but cyclone dust collectors aren't rocket science - they are a cyclone, a motor, an impeller, and a filter. If you find one that has enough air flow to meet your needs and it fits your budget then you will probably be happy with it

Not familiar with grizzley.  My only advice is that if you choose a 120v - 1 3/4 HP DC you won't have a lot of power and will be limited in the length of your longest run to about the equivalent of 20' with a 4" or 5" main and you will need blast gates so that only the ducting path to the tool you are using is open.  I have a Laguna 1 3/4 HP unit and planned my shop with its limitations in mind.  Works fine.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2016 at 11:26 PM, Andy Wright said:

I have a 3.5HP  Penn State that I am satisfied with. I will probably catch flack for saying this, but cyclone dust collectors aren't rocket science - they are a cyclone, a motor, an impeller, and a filter. If you find one that has enough air flow to meet your needs and it fits your budget then you will probably be happy with it

The design of the cyclone determines how much fine dust (the stuff that will kill you given enough time) it captures. I have a couple 55 gallon barrels that catch chips, but the dust comes right through.

If you put a really good filter on your system (you should), the difference between a good cyclone and a good chip catcher is how much of your day you'll spend cleaning the filter.

I had a Clearview when I had my other business. It was designed to catch fine dust and worked great.

• 2 months later...

I am reading through some old threads doing research on a planned dust collection upgrade.   Looks like the Oneida and Clearvue are two big fan favorites, any more thoughts from folks who did their research on why you selected one over the other?

We would be looking at one of the single phase, 3 or 5hp models to run our small shop.  The main reason for the DC upgrade is that we will be adding a 37" double drum sander to the tool arsenal.

Thanks in advance for any advice!