Comfortably Numb

TerryMcK

First guitar solo or second?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Comfortably Numb guitar solo #1 or #2?

Funny, I kind of hated Pink Floyd back in high school.  Not because of the music, but because every stoner-wannabe in school wore a Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt, even if they have never heard the music.  Or they say stupid stuff like "Dude, you should watch Alice in Wonderland with Dark Side playing in the background while tripping".   Same reason why I am tiring of walnut (because every hipster bar is decking itself out in poorly made slab tables).  Like @Eric., I am allergic to fads.

But, nowadays I listen to Pink Floyd quite a bit.  I really can't pick a favorite solo.  Not being a guitarist, I can't appreciate it the way a guitarist could.  They both sound great to me, and I would agree with Kev that the tone is fantastic.  My favorite song is probably "wish you were here," not only for the music, but for the meaning.  

Second one, no contest.

However...it's a good song, catchy, cool, everyone knows it and loves it, whatever...one of the weakest songs on the album, IMO.

Thin Ice, Goodbye Blue Sky, Nobody Home, In the Flesh...best songs on the album.

And despite Mike's aversion to the t-shirts...Dark Side is a WAY better album in toto.  I love The Wall, but let's be honest.

• Like 2

The coffee just kicked in and I figured out you weren't talking about two different artist's versions of comfortably numb but the two solo sections within Pink Floyd's version.  I voted for both.  Although my garage band days were spent behind a keyboard I am a sucker for great guitar work.  I even have discs that just carry the lead-in bars to the solo and then the lead-in bars to another solo, etc.

Clapton - Crossroads Live, Johnny Winter - Cheap Tequila off Still Alive and Well, Rick Vito's slide solo on Bob Segar's Like a Rock, Neil Geraldo on Pat Benetar's Promises in the Dark, Yngwie on Dreaming from the Odyssey album  . . . it's endless . . .

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Second one, no contest.

However...it's a good song, catchy, cool, everyone knows it and loves it, whatever...one of the weakest songs on the album, IMO.

Thin Ice, Goodbye Blue Sky, Nobody Home, In the Flesh...best songs on the album.

And despite Mike's aversion to the t-shirts...Dark Side is a WAY better album in toto.  I love The Wall, but let's be honest.

Gotta agree with Eric on all counts. Great song but easily one of the weakest of the album.

Love me some Pink Floyd!

• Like 1

One of my favorite albums is David Gilmore Live in Gdansk.  Plays in my shop weekly.

Funny, I'm old enough to remember that the first time I listened to Dark Side of the Moon was at a friend's house.  We smoked some herb and listened to it on a Quad system.  Still a great album all these years later.

I've only heard Comfortably Numb once.. played live by Dream Theater and Queensryche at the end of show. I've never really been a PF fan, but in the last few years I've come to realize there is nothing wrong with them. My younger days bias no longer exists. But I still don't seem to listen to them.

Pink Floyd: Still First In Space.

Blew off studying for a law school final taking place the next day so I could buy a last-second ticket to see Pink Floyd in the Kingdome (1987). Best decision I ever made; the show was incredible, and the sound was too in the notoriously bad Dome. Got a sucky mediocre grade on the final but who cares -- it didn't affect my life one bit. Floyd, OTOH, I'll always remember.

• Like 2